Excalibur continuity question

Got questions? He's got answers!
Rayeye

Excalibur continuity question

Post by Rayeye »

Dear Mr. Davis,

First I want to say I really loved your run on the original Excalibur series. It's still my most favorite comic book ever.
I also love the characters you created for Excalibur (Cerise, Kylun, etc).

I have one question about your Excalibur run:
In 1991 Marvel released an Excalibur special called Excalibur: The Possession. Personally I thought the comic was very weird and odd and full of continuity errors.
Then later in Excalibur #47 you wrote a scene wherein Roma and Captain Britain recalled and explained the odd events from Excalibur: The Possession.
I was wondering if you were somehow involved in the Excalibur special and if you planned the explanation in Excalibur #47 from the start, or that the special was just messing up your Excalibur continuity and you wrote the concerning scene last minute to fix the continuity?

Thanks in advance for answering the question!
Ilke

Re: Excalibur continuity question

Post by Ilke »

Rayeye, I would suggest you check out the thread for 'Alan, what's the story behind the apparent Possession Retcon?'...

http://www.alandavis-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174

Ilke
Rayeye

Post by Rayeye »

Thanks Ilke, I wasn't aware of that thread.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Rayeye

As Ilke notes this was a point of discussion on an earlier posting and I’ve recently been sent links by Ilke and others to a debate which might have over-dramatised the situation further.

Excalibur was to be my first regular monthly writing job so I asked for a big safety net of time in case I messed up (NB Paul Neary was never officially lined up to co-write Excalibur with me and he was never involved in the plotting. As with Wolverine: Bloodlust I wrote the plots and Paul was to write the dialogue) I had finished three issues before the first book was scheduled for completion, but when one of my editors superiors discovered there were three finished books lying in a drawer at Marvel, so we were put on a bi-monthly deadline. The result being that I went from two or three months ahead of schedule to two behind.
Because I had asked for the 'head-start' I had also supplied an overview of my first story arc to ensure all of the fill-in writers knew where the group needed to be at the end of the fill-ins. The Myrd story 'slipped through the net', as they say, and was clearly not in line with what I had plotted. When I pointed this out to editorial I was told to integrate the events into my continuity.. I couldn't change my story without losing the resolution I had planned in issue 50 so retro fitted the Myrd story.

As for the ClanDestine ‘reboot’. I had zero hesitation in jettisoning the ClanDestine work that followed my first eight issues. The writer responsible actually wrote an apology to me before it went into print-- saying something like... ‘they (editorial) made me do it’. He had seen my 24 (or so) issue long-story arc so knew what I had intended. Anyone who might have read the issues following my first eight will know they resurrected Vincent and began a scenario that would reveal the family were not actually all brothers and sisters-- so that they could introduce love triangles between the characters. Nuff said!

Alan
Rayeye

Post by Rayeye »

Thanks Mr. Davis, for your explanation.
I am glad you found a way to 'undo' that Clan Destine story with your explanation in the X-Men/Clan Destine limited series. Same for the Possession story.
Asger

Post by Asger »

Well davis this is very cool work done by you i just appreciate for doing this all.I read all the topic but your topic attract me because it have some unique topic.