COMIC ARTISTS FORUM

Discuss anything about comics here.
A.D.fan

COMIC ARTISTS FORUM

Post by A.D.fan »

I don't know if everyone would agree but I thought this site would be a good place to discuss how to create comics. I know there are a lot of artists here and I thought it would be neat to trade ideas and techniques. For intance, I'm experimenting with non-photo blue because I want to ink my work and I'm too lazy to erase (can't afford a light box right now either). Does anyone else work this way? If so, what type of blue pencil do you use? Which works the best for you?
Row

Post by Row »

I tend to use the non-photo blue for laying out the page and roughing in the figures, perspective etc before switching over to my regular H or 2H pencils due to me emailing pages off to an inker.

I was using Prismacolor blue pencils, but I found the lead to be a little too waxy and I seemed to be forever sharpening them. I'm currently trying out some .9mm pental non-photo leads I picked up, so far they seem pretty good...I just need to be careful with them as they don't erase too well if I'm a little heavy handed in the layout stages.

Lightbox-wise, you could probably make one for a fraction of the cost of buying one.
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Thanks. I've been looking for those non-photo leads but can't seem to find them. Do you know of any sites that show how to make a lightbox?
Row

Post by Row »

No worries.

I had a quick scout around and found this place http://www.tricoblue.com/leads_&_leadholders.htm , scroll down to the fine lead section and they might be the Pentel Blue, I'm not too sure as to whether these are the same leads that I found here in my local art supply store here in the UK, but they maybe....as I say they don't erase too well if you're heavy handed with them.

As for making your own lightboxes, this was one of the better ones I found
http://steampunkworkshop.com/lightbox.shtml
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Thanks Row! Those sites look great!