Your Alan Davis encounter or sketch

Wanna discuss other Alan Davis works? Killraven? JLA:The Nail? Avengers? Batman? Gen13? FF? D.R & Quinch? This is the forum for you!
HardBoiledHenry

Your Alan Davis encounter or sketch

Post by HardBoiledHenry »

WANTED!

Please share on this post some personal Alan Davis souvenir/sketches you've obtained through collecting/auction or by personal encounter (i.e. comic convention).

I'd like to see and read what the fans are coveting and holding from their revered Alan Davis collection.

1.) Where you met Alan?

2.) When?

3.) What did he sketch for you? or What is it you've acquired that's unique? (provide a scan image or link)

4.) Describe your personal encounter?

I'm like many fans of Alan Davis who doesn't own a personalized sketch, an autographed work, or original artwork from previous projects, but hope to someday.

Sketch e.g.

I wish this was mine :(
Last edited by HardBoiledHenry on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Well, I got mine at my first convention (the whole reason i went :)
This was Mid Ohio Con 2003. I was one of the first in line for signing, and for a sketch! Mr. Davis was awesome! Very polite and cool to talk to (although i was very nervous, heck man was the whole reason i got into comics). Mr. Davis signed Clandestine #1, Exc. 1, 16. There were a few other issues I would have liked signed, but i didn't feel right standing there with any more than a few issues.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1913

Sadly it is my only Davis piece at this time. But as soon as i have the opportunity i plan on changing that!
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

I have not met Alan yet. :(

I will try to make it to any comic convention here in the States if he comes though.

LOVE that Nightcrawler piece Entropy.
~Matt
bignige

Post by bignige »

Not got any sketches, but many years ago Nostalgia & Comics in Brum (Birmingham) was selling Alan Davis Batman & The Outsiders original artwork for £20 a piece! I managed to get me a couple with my student grant! I also have a page from Excalibur, can't remember the issue, but it's the page where Meggan goes to transfrom into a wolf, but ends up as a white rabbit.
I met Mr Davis at a convention in London where he was doing a talk, at around the time Marvel UK had it's second wind - thoroughly enjoyed it, and although I'm too slow to ever draw a page of comic book art - (I became a graphic designer, actually I started my own business and am celebrating my 10th anniversay), he still continues to be an inspiration to me. I don't really buy comics anymore, but, I still get the same feeling buying an Alan Davis comic I did when I picked up a uk Captain Britain for the first time!
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but do read this forum on a regular basis - actually, I did all the scanning of my CB stuff for the gallery on the old site (Sorry Alan!) the only intention was for more people to see the work you did for the UK.
Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

Quite like the idea of this.

I haven't any sketches either and any time I have come close to speaking to Alan, I've been struck dumb. I think the most I got from him was a signature on the 1988 UKCAC convention book in yellow highlighter no less (all I had on me at the time). The signature was on the belly of Quinch!

On another note, I am very lucky to have an original colour plate from the Wolverine GN that Alan did with Paul Neary (who is one of the nicest pros I have ever had the good fortune to meet). My now brother-in-law managed to get it from Paul as a birthday gift for me. Bernie Jaye's colours are outstanding on a blue line copy of Alan's and Paul's work with a black line acetate overlay. I'll have to scan that sometime.
G.Perdue

Post by G.Perdue »

I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Davis when he made his only (as far as I know) appeariance at The Wizard World show in Chicago. I think this was back in 1996. He was signing at the DC booth, and had a fairly long line waiting to meet him.
I was fortunate enough to have him sign Issue #1 of Excalibure, Batman Full Circle, and The Nail # 1.
Mr. Davis has been my favorite artist since his work on Detective, and I had been looking forward to getting to meet him since they had announced he would be a guest. I finaly got up there to meet him and I'm sure I must have come off as the dumbest American he had ever met.
I think I asked how he liked Chicago and I probably gushed about how much I enjoy his work, with a goofy smile on my face. For his part, he was very gracious and I think he said somthing nice about Chicago.

At the end of the day I wound up in the hospital with what turned out to be severe food poisoning.
The only reason I mention this is the fact that before I was diagnosed, I was afraid that I had some horrible virus and that I might have given it to him when i shook his hand that afternoon. I didn't want to be known as the man who gave Mr. Davis the plague. :oops:
Aside from that part it was my favorite convention ever. :D
I don't know what I regret, So I guess I regret not knowing.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

G.Perdue wrote: At the end of the day I wound up in the hospital with what turned out to be severe food poisoning.
The only reason I mention this is the fact that before I was diagnosed, I was afraid that I had some horrible virus and that I might have given it to him when i shook his hand that afternoon. I didn't want to be known as the man who gave Mr. Davis the plague. :oops:
Aside from that part it was my favorite convention ever. :D
Ha! :lol:
~Matt
Brian Peck

Meeting Alan at San Diego 2005 Con

Post by Brian Peck »

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Davis in San Diego in 2005. He wasn't an official guest at the con but was there to bring some pre-arranged commissions and art sales. I was lucky enough setup a commission through Jim Warden and buy a page from Alan's Uncanny X-Men run prior to the show. Alan brought a ton of art and had a good crowd around him when he showed up. Besides the commission and X-men page Alan also signed a few pages I had brought with me from my collection. After all the art was gone, I had the privilege to have lunch with Mr. Davis and fellow collector Gary Land (the man with the BEST Alan Davis art). It was the highlight of the convention to be able to sit down and chat with Alan.
In fact, I just recently had Robin Riggs ink a blue-line (keep the pencils untouched) of my Davis commission. As always Robin did a great job. Alan has the original pencils posted on his site of my commission, but I thought I would repost it here with the Robin's inked version. Enjoy.

Be seeing you,
Brian
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Brian,

That's a fantastic piece! I first noticed it when you posted it to CAF awhile back. Also love your Davis Excalibur piece, your Larroca colored piece (i cannot believe i missed those) and your Cockrum collection.

There's a piece that Jim Warden recently put on his site that i have my eye on, it would be my first published Davis piece, but college fees and recent moving costs. Someday...

Jason L.

Bluemeanie

Post by Bluemeanie »

Well I have my fingers crossed that I can in some way get a Harley Quinn sketch when I go to the Bristol Comic con in May.

Mr Davis has been my favourite artist since DR & Quinch and while his run on Batman was awesome I do regret that the Harley character wasnt around then as I would have loved to seen his version of her.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

While I've never seen a Davis H.Q. I'm quite sure that he'd be able to infuse it with a great deal of humor. If you get one you have to post it.

Keeping with the bat villainess theme, there are a couple of gorgeous Davis Poison Ivy's that I've seen posted on Comicartfans.