First DC book.

Wanna discuss other Alan Davis works? Killraven? JLA:The Nail? Avengers? Batman? Gen13? FF? D.R & Quinch? This is the forum for you!
Diablo

First DC book.

Post by Diablo »

If Excalibur was my first Marvel series, JLA: the nail was the first DC comic book I bought.
-yeah, it took me years to "betray" Marvel for DC, LOL.

But again, thanks to Alan, I discovered an entire new universe.
His Batman and Martian Manhunter, particularly, really rock !

I also like his Green Arrow... but the poor guy hadn't it easy during the first "the nail" mini !! Hardly one of Alan's favorite characters I guess.
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
Nimbus

Re: First DC book.

Post by Nimbus »

Diablo wrote:His Batman and Martian Manhunter, particularly, really rock !
I have to agree. His Martian Manhunter looks impressive and powerful. It's a pity that MM is often overlooked, especially when Supes is around. And Batman was just wonderful. 8)

I have to agree with Alan though (in his comments in the TPB) that the Flash's and the Atom's heads look a little wrong. The skin-tight head covering makes 'em look like big headed baldies. :D

I must admit that I loved The Nail's mystery aspect and the twists and turns to finding out who the villain was. Probably one of the best DC books I've read in a while (since Watchmen perhaps?). Another Nail wasn't quite so good - perhaps because The Nail was a self contained story that didn't really need to be continued - but the artwork was still fantastic. :wink:

I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this series. :o
Declan Shalvey

Post by Declan Shalvey »

Hello there, just found out this forum existied and i have to say i'm absolutely thrilled that it has been.

As regards The Nail, where to start? From the first to last page, it's just wonderful. It was the first Alan Davis story of his i read (forgive me, i'm only young) and it absolutely blew me away. Figures moved like they were supposed to, they bent and stretched, no ridiculous posturing or 'explosive' facial expressions. The book reeks of professionalism. I must add that when reading it as an impressionable teenager, i loved how such an epic series of events came to be from something as small and supposedly inconsequential as .....a little old nail. Brilliant.