Alan's Nightcrawler.

Was Alan Davis's Excalibur your favorite? Come and discuss it here!
Diablo

Alan's Nightcrawler.

Post by Diablo »

Excalibur#1 was the first comic book I bought.
In 1989 I think...

I have since read Alan Moore's work, Neil Gaiman's wonders, Peter David's multiple series,... and I enjoy them a lot. But I always come back to Excalibur. There was something special about this series. It was fun, yet frightening, and the art was just.. perfect ! 8)

Every page, every panel still appeal to me, and, above all, Alan's rendition of Kurt Wagnaer, a.k.a. Nightcrawler is just breathtaking.
When I was younger, I didn't read comic-books, but I knew the heroes - Spider-man, Hulk, Captain America, the Fantastic Four,...
Then I've met Alan's art and I just couldn't believe it. There was a sense of volume in Alan Davis's characters that wasn't in other comic books.
These characters seemed alive ! :shock:
And Nightcrawler just "bamfed" out of the page for me.

The blue elf remains my favourite character to this day, and I think he wouldn't have been, without Mr Davis's incredible drawings.

OK, I could go on and on, and also talk about Meggan and all the beautiful women Alan draws for instance, but I'll stop right now... :mrgreen:
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Diablo,

i have to agree, Excalibur was extremely special and Alan's rendition is my absolute favorite. I had the pleasure of meeting Alan at Mid Ohio in 2003 (first convention, had to go and see Mr Davis!) and was able to get this (scroll down towards bottom)...
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1913
it is my absolute favorite piece. Every time i look upon I think about how cool Alan and Robin were and how kind of them to take the time and do these 'sketches'.

You should check the comicartfans.com site for more really cool Davis art (recently the splash to X-men 444 with Nightcrawler as catcher, Bishop as Ump, and Emma as batter was added).

See ya round at 'scrawlers.
Jason L.
Last edited by Entropy on Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Nightcrawler fans assemble !, LOL :wink:

Entropy, I envy you. You lucky dog !!
This drawing is amazing !

I just wish Alan could come to France to draw me one !! :cry:
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Alan's rendition (art and character) of Nightcrawler is the best! Nightcrawler's original creator, Dave Cockrum, said that "Alan has been one of the few artists that 'got him'."

AWESOME pic Jason!
~Matt
christophe

Post by christophe »

For information :

EXCALIBUR CLASSIC VOLUME 1: THE SWORD IS DRAWN TPB
Written by Chris Claremont, art by Alan Davis.
Collects Excalibur #1-5 and Bookshelf.
176 pages, $19.99, in stores on Nov. 16.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm really hoping to someday get another piece (perhaps Kylun) like this.

Until then I'm eagerly waiting for Jim Warden to put up for sale some of Mr Davis' new work.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Yep, Kylun would be a great choice ! 8)
One of the most forgotten character... and also one of the most memorable for me ! Did you know there exists a really cool Kylun action figure ?? I have it and it never quits my living room, LOL.
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
CurlyyHairGirl

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

originally posted by Diablo
Nightcrawler fans assemble !, LOL
LOL! Really!

Seriously, Entropy, you are lucky. That beats my Tom Jones siting by a longshot.

Out of all the people that have drawn Nightcrawler, Davis's is the best...with the exception of Dave, his creator.
Davis really has a knack for drawing NC just right. Some other's tend to make him look either too stiff or like that contortionist guy who can fit in a box with a volume of 8 cubic ft. Davis's seems to be the most believable...not to mention the most attractive Nightcrawler out there.

-EMO
Peace, love, and all that crazy Voodoo.
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Welcome here, Eryn ! :D

A Nightcrawler's fans reunion, indeed ! :wink:
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

www.bamfcentral.com

YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

I remember the Kylun figure, in fact i'm pretty sure my brother stole mine.
I just wish they could bring him and some of the other characters back (but only if done well).

CurlyyHairGirl

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Entropy wrote:I remember the Kylun figure, in fact i'm pretty sure my brother stole mine.
I just wish they could bring him and some of the other characters back (but only if done well).
My sister isn't a comic book fan, so I don't have to worry about stolen figurines. LOL

Kylun was cool, I really liked him. I agree that they should bring other characters back, but right now it seems that Marvel likes to use and re-use the most popular characters over and over, vs. integrating some variety.
I want Cerise to come back, she's been here and there in certain titles, but only for short periods of time.

I'm getting off topic though.

I think my favorite Nightcrawler drawing of Alan's has to be in UNCANNY X-MEN #450: THE CRUELEST CUT, the splash page with Rachel and Kurt in the Danger room fighting off pirates. That looks like it was a lot of fun to draw. By far, my favorite issue.
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

It's hard to decide which drawing of Kurt was the best one...
Since we're discussing Excalibur, I'd perhap's go with the cover of Excalibur#16, though.

Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

www.bamfcentral.com

YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
CurlyyHairGirl

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Both are extremely beautiful...the only difference was that silvery shirt thing he wore underneath on UNCANNY.
I like the one from UNCANNY better because of the fight scene, it's dramatic and eyecatching, although, his expression on the EXCALIBUR cover is lovely.

I always liked Kymri too...grrr...Diablo, now I'm gonna have to make my favorit a tie between the two. :wink:
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Personally i think the uncanny 450 splash scene looks much better without color (the inked version and the pencil version where absolutley phenominal!)

And the Exc. 16 cover has long been a fav. when it went on sale recently i was able to contact the seller and get a scan. now i just have to get rich and buy it :D

Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

Talking of Excalibur 16, I managed to buy the splash to that issue for my brother-in-law and best mate, Darren Taylor (who I think is also a member here). Cracking piece!! Maybe he could post a scan!!