I actually enjoyed most of the humor in Excalibur

Was Alan Davis's Excalibur your favorite? Come and discuss it here!
DungeonmasterJim

I actually enjoyed most of the humor in Excalibur

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Maybe it was Alan's artistry or the use of several of my more favored comic characters, or maybe some of the humor was truly funny, but I enjoyed the humor in the book.

I think my favorite had to be when Capt. Britain was trying to find a place to read a book and all he found was distraction after distraction.

Although not really humorous, I liked the whole scene between the crew when Rachel threw out Brian's whiskey - issue three I think it was.

Jim
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

There was a subtle dose of humor in Excalibur, mixed up with adventure and a dark tone.

I liked who characters like the Crazy Gang or the Technets were at the same time goofy and really frightenning.
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
AtekMan

Post by AtekMan »

I loved a lot of the British in-Jokes in Excalibur, Emelia Witherspoon (The spitting image of the late great Margaret Rutherford) Warmington-On-Sea (Dad Army) and the more obvious Dr Who references.
JackalsIII

Post by JackalsIII »

Alan did write one of the best Kitty Prydes I've ever read! Love his art as well, draws an excellent Lockheed too!
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Excalibur was extremely balanced with action and humor. I use Excalibur as an example for the comics that I write.

I absolutley loved in #42 (?) when Excalibur placed the Technet when they were frozen in a statis field, to punch each other out when they came to. Great moment!
~Matt
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

The entire format of the first half of Excalibur was the perfect blend of humor and action. Classic. Very few books could pull it off half as well.
Alan's rendition of both humor and action is great.

Jason L.
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
j1jes

Post by j1jes »

JackalsIII wrote:Alan did write one of the best Kitty Prydes I've ever read! Love his art as well, draws an excellent Lockheed too!
I think that the original Excalibur had been meant for Alan to draw. His Kitty was the best thing since Paul Smith (even better then Byrne's) and has been my favorite to this day. Same with Kurt/Nightcrawler

Rachel, hands down excellent,

Capt B and Megan I can't imagine without Alan.
JackalsIII

Post by JackalsIII »

j1jes wrote:
JackalsIII wrote:Alan did write one of the best Kitty Prydes I've ever read! Love his art as well, draws an excellent Lockheed too!
I think that the original Excalibur had been meant for Alan to draw. His Kitty was the best thing since Paul Smith (even better then Byrne's) and has been my favorite to this day. Same with Kurt/Nightcrawler

Rachel, hands down excellent,

Capt B and Megan I can't imagine without Alan.
When I think of Kitty Pryde, like the visual, I always imagine an Alan Davis Kitty or a Paul Smith Kitty. No question about that!

Nightcrawler, another amazing character Alan Davis drew perfectly, I visual his or Dave Cockrum's versions. Both are such classics!
nautilebleu

Post by nautilebleu »

Hi everyone !

First of all, sorry for my poor English !

I want to add my opinion to your remarks. I think Alan Davis is one of the best comic's drawer ever, but what's make him my preferred comics author is its talent as writer : the melting of british humour and action, with some reflections two.

In my opinio, a good comic must have two reading levels (or more !!) Unfortunately, it's very rare, especially in super-heros comics.

For this, thank you alan davis ! :D
Ravalox

Post by Ravalox »

I completely agree (and your English is largely impeccable Nautilebleu!)

Excalibur was largely unique (in Marvel circles, at least) because it showed that despite the characters' awesome powers, they were still people. All had their own quirks, fears, insecurities, weaknesses. And sense of humour! Being the Captain Britain fan I am, I saw this most in Braddock himself: a man of an 82-inch chest, capable of incredible physical feats and invunerability... but yet inside was a tortured soul who was constantly under siege by both his past, his present, and his future. Invunerable to the outside, vunerable on the inside. How poignant.

As the line went, "He is, after all, still just a man".

Brilliant, and paved the way for my own writings down the years.

Cheers
Carl
nautilebleu

Post by nautilebleu »

I completely agree (and your English is largely impeccable Nautilebleu!)
Thanks Ravalox ! :D

About Captain Brittain : in France, the Captain Britain title haven't been published in France. So, I only know Excalibur, and, I always found strange - but existing ! - that Captain Britain seems not to be the leader and the main character of Excalibur. Often, Nightcrawler, Kitty or Phoenix seems more important to the story. Maybe this should be a good question to the "Ask Alan" section.
Bill P

Post by Bill P »

I really loved how the characters played off each other, they were indeed human and the sense of humor concreted the human aspect of the characters.

Excalibur characters are still favourites for me, and I doubt that will ever change.
Vyrt

Post by Vyrt »

I thought the sequence when Kurt and Maggan where working out and Meggan changed her appearance to that of a female Nightcrawler was absolutely inspired. That whole thing had me smiling at the sheer beauty and subtle humour of the moment, how close Kurt and Meggan came and just as they were about to kiss Brian bursts in and it's all over. Fabulous pacing and you were left feeling very let down on Kurt's behalf.