Widget

Was Alan Davis's Excalibur your favorite? Come and discuss it here!
MiG

Widget

Post by MiG »

Hello everyone

I'm new to these boards, finally got my verification e-mail ( something hiccuped with the messages it seems ).

Anyway, like everyone else here I love Alan Davis artwork and he's been a great inspiration for me and especially during my younger days when he and other great artists spread their magic in my life. I've been reading comics since I was a very young kid and always wanted to draw like the artists did so I became an artist. I've learned everything I know about drawing and painting by just studying comic books and among these I of course also studied Excalibur, one of my favorite titles.

These days I don't try to imitate other artists but what I learned still resides in me which I'm deeply grateful for. Earlier in my career I even put some of my favorite characters somewhere into the background of highly detailed pieces where I knew they wouldn't be spotted at first glance. I received some critique for that since some of them got published but it was my way of paying homage and respect for the genre that inspired me to become what I am today, an artist.

I'm currently attending a two year 3d modeling course, learning 3ds Max, Maya and more since I feel that I need to broaden my horizons a little. Much as I love traditional art which is what I mostly do it is not always enough since not every job require a sketch or finished water color illustration but a digital touch to it, hence this course.

To practice my modeling I started out on this old favorite of mine, Widget. I've already made a dock icon of him ( and Captain Britain too ) in Illustrator and Photoshop. I even tried to capture Alan's drawing style when I made them :). But I wanted a 3d version of Widget as well so I went ahead and modeled him. I showed it to a friend of mine who's like me also a big comics nut and he said I should post it up in here so here it is:

I know, I forgot what passes for nostrils on him, I'll add them later. Just thought Alan would like to see what his old creation might look like in a 3d environment. I made this one as wallpaper in different sizes, I could add the link to it here but I think I should ask permission first before I do. I made this in 3ds Max with a slight touch of Photoshop.

Hope you Widget fans like it :)

Ps. Sorry for the heinously long post. Ds
captain616

Post by captain616 »

That's pretty bloody good MiG. Thanks for sharing.
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you captain, and you're welcome :)
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Very cool!
~Matt
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you Matt :) I love this little feller, I always thought he looked so happy and relaxed so he became one of my fav's right away. Btw, do any of you use dock icons? I've got these two right here:

I've made a few other Marvel characters like the Thing and Abomination for instance if you'd like to have them as well

You can download both of the Windows and MacOS X versions of the two guys above from here

If you're a strict Windows user and don't have a dock ( yet ) you can download the free Objectdock for Windows from Stardock.com here. I highly recommend getting it because it'll make your desktop look much cleaner since you can have all the more important icons and shortcuts in the dock instead of on the desktop. Instead you can enjoy a wonderful piece by Alan Davis as a wallpaper ( for instance ;) ) rid of all the interfering icons cluttering things up.

If you do use it then enjoy :)

Edit:

***Update***

I replaced the images as can be seen with the ones of the normal dock size, 128px, transparent background of course. I also included the zip containing the icons for Mac and WindowsXP both and you can download it from here. They are still meant to be used as dock icons but I'll make them usable as OS icons for Windows too, i.e in the .ico file format.

I know I know, Hellboy aint a Marvel guy but he's cute and I can't help but loving him, perhaps there's other Hellboy fans here so I included him too :wink:

Again, enjoy them if you use them
Last edited by MiG on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MiG

Post by MiG »

*Bump*