Was there a pitch to Marvel for a new Excalibur series?

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

Was there a pitch to Marvel for a new Excalibur series?

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

I came across a post on another comic forum that cited that Marvel had turned down a new Excalibur series to be written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Alan Davis. The way the post was worded it seemed to suggest that the pitch or the title was for 2014.

I hadn't heard about this before. Does anybody know anything about this?

If this is a true story, Mr. Davis, could you shed any light about the direction of the series and the characters involved?

Thanks all!
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Was there a pitch to Marvel for a new Excalibur series?

Post by Alan Davis »

I don't recall the year but the conversation I had with Chris Claremont took place at the Bristol Convention, in the UK-- so checking guest lists may provide a date.
During a general chat Chris asked me if I had any interest in revisiting Excalibur. I told him I would be delighted. Time passed, I didn't hear anything, so continued with other projects. Then, I met up with Chris in Chicago last year. He told me he had pitched the idea shortly after our meeting in Bristol but editorial had no interest in revisiting Excalibur. That's all I know
DungeonmasterJim

Re: Was there a pitch to Marvel for a new Excalibur series?

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Highly disappointing that editorial had no interest in Excalibur. Seems very few creators create good stories and art for my favorite character, Rachel Summers. I'm sure I would've enjoyed your and Chris's efforts had this come to pass.

Thank you for answering my question.