Interested in Marvel's new original graphic novel line?

Got questions? He's got answers!
XIII

Interested in Marvel's new original graphic novel line?

Post by XIII »

I don't know if you're aware that Marvel is kick-starting a new OGN line with a 110 page Avengers book by Warren Ellis and Mike McKone:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=44512

According to the press release...
"This movie-length epic launches an all new original graphic novel line for Marvel Entertainment, featuring the biggest super heroes brought to life by the best creators and debuts in a high-end, oversized format featuring sophisticated packaging and design."
So after reading the underlined (by me) part I immediately thought about my favorite artist currently working for Marvel. I think this would be the perfect opportunity for your art to shine even more than usual and the perfect way for Marvel to reward your loyalty to them. In a perfect world we could ask for a ClanDestine return via this OGN line, but it seems "the biggest super heroes" line means they're keeping this for their core heavy hitters, at least for now. Regardless of the characters involved, I sincerely hope they offer you drawing (hopefully writing/drawing) one of these new "high-end, oversized" books.

So I guess my question is: would you be enticed by this prospect? Or in other words, do you see any possible advantage in this approach compared to the typical assignment of a 4 or 5 issue story arc on a regular monthly comic-book or mini-series?

I mean, come to think of it, you were called upon 20 years ago when Marvel started producing bookshelf ready "special editions" in the so-called Prestige format popularized by Frank Miller's Dark Knight, and the result was 2 stunning looking books such as Wolverine: Bloodlust and Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn. What intrigues me is if you recall those two experiences, and the resulting books, with any more fondness than the more habitual monthly comic-book assignments, and therefore if you would be looking forward to be offered similar projects again.
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Interested in Marvel's new original graphic novel line?

Post by Alan Davis »

I don't know if you're aware that Marvel is kick-starting a new OGN line with a 110 page Avengers book by Warren Ellis and Mike McKone:
XIII, No I hadn’t heard but then again I have minimal contact with any editors at Marvel and actively avoid news sites. My focus has always been on the job at hand.
So after reading the underlined (by me) part I immediately thought about my favorite artist currently working for Marvel. I think this would be the perfect opportunity for your art to shine even more than usual and the perfect way for Marvel to reward your loyalty to them.
Thanks for the kind sentiment and support. I don’t know if these books are assigned by reward, merit, favour or mates but I’m sure there is plenty of competition. I have to say I feel Marvel has been as loyal to me as I to them especially in regard to immense freedom on Excalibur and support on low audience projects like ClanDestine and Killraven.
So I guess my question is: would you be enticed by this prospect? Or in other words, do you see any possible advantage in this approach compared to the typical assignment of a 4 or 5 issue story arc on a regular monthly comic-book or mini-series?
I’d never say never but I haven’t any plans to write at the moment.
I mean, come to think of it, you were called upon 20 years ago when Marvel started producing bookshelf ready "special editions" in the so-called Prestige format popularized by Frank Miller's Dark Knight, and the result was 2 stunning looking books such as Wolverine: Bloodlust and Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn. What intrigues me is if you recall those two experiences, and the resulting books, with any more fondness than the more habitual monthly comic-book assignments, and therefore if you would be looking forward to be offered similar projects again.
I’d always prefer to do ‘special projects’, outside of continuity, purely because of the opportunities that freedom allows. I was lucky enough to do two ‘Nail’ mini-series at DC (and Superboy’s Legion) as well as Wolverine: Bloodlust, Killraven, FF:The End and the ClanDestine, in its various incarnations, at Marvel. In between these projects I’d always return to the mainstream because the only way to keep doing ‘special projects’ is to maintain a mainstream profile. At the moment I have a lot going on in my life outside of comics and, in recent years, as I felt increasingly more and more out of step with mainstream comic writing I decided to stick to pencilling. Fashion is fickle. Things may change.