U.S. apperance in Chicago

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

U.S. apperance in Chicago

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Kinda heart broken to read that you will be in Chicago for a comic book con and all my vacation time from work has already been scheduled towards other cons.

When you are at a con do you just do sketches?

One day I would like to have you do a more involved pin-up commission.
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: U.S. apperance in Chicago

Post by Alan Davis »

Sorry I made the wrong choice of Con for you Jim.

Due to my physical limitations and the often restrictive drawing position available at a Con I limit my sketches to A4 (ish) pencil headshots. Most often from a ¾ angle because it offers the most interesting view and allows me to focus on the personality of a character rather than varying basic structure—and hopefully, maintain some conversation with those on line so I don’t feel like a ‘battery hen’.
As I explain in my Artsale FAQ, drawing commissions has never been a priority for me but I do sometimes take a few ‘Non-Commission’ (or ‘Pre-drawn’) 17x11 pencil sketches, of the type posted in the ‘Unpublished Pencils’ section of my website, to a Con. I don’t have any definite plan or strategy. It’s all on a whim.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

I am looking forward to seeing Alan again in Chicago. It is a nice con and the food in the area is fantastic. Hotel is booked and still checking flight options. Hope to see other forum members make the trek to the show.
ddsave

Post by ddsave »

I am making the trip to the Chicago Comic Con specifically to see Alan. I am a big Excalibur fan. I have been holding on to an Excalibur baby mobile that I found on eBay in anticipation of the arrival of our first blessing.

Will Alan be present for all the operating hours of the convention or will he have a set schedule? Does he need any reference material for the head sketches? Will he be selling anything like sketchbooks, prints, trades, or other souvenirs?

Thank you for coming to the U.S.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

As I've already said, I don’t have any definite plan or strategy.
Time is passing with increasing rapidity and opportunities to pre-draw sketches are rare.
I usually turn up with no expectation at the Con and do as the organisers ask-- within reason. I don't concern myself with schedules until I'm on site.
I don't need refs for characters I've drawn regularly.
John S

Post by John S »

I too am a big Excalibur/Captain Britain fan. I'm trying to make a trip to Chicago happen to meet Mr. Davis and Chris Claremont. If I make it, it'll be the first show I've been to out of Texas (I live in OK).