Nightcrawler's powers

Got questions? He's got answers!
Crusader K

Nightcrawler's powers

Post by Crusader K »

Alan,

Not so much a question but a "thank you"!

I was recently re-reading your "Excalibur" run and was amazed at the explanation of Nightcrawler's abilities (well, using comic book logic of course).

Specifically, Nightcrawler's ability to turn invisible in the dark and why his face always seems shadowed as a result of his dimensional interface constantly surrounding his body. This is the height of nerdism but I thought it was brilliant of you to 1) not forget this ability and 2) provide an explanation for it!

Kudos!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Nightcrawler's powers

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for your kind words K.
Internal logic of story and character has always been crucially important to me because inconsistent characterisation or convenient/lazy use of ability/prowess pulls me out of any story. I assume the same will be true for other readers so always try to rationalise every aspect of any character I work on-- even if it isn’t specifically required by the story. Having said that, developing a complete rationalisation will usually generate or enhance story ideas so it can pay dividends.
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

Alan,

Thank you for the response! Loving Wolverine! So glad to see more of your work!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Icon-UK

Post by Icon-UK »

I always liked that you gave him the power of absolute awareness of where he was, relative to where he had been, when teleporting.
Manuel Tavares

Post by Manuel Tavares »

Internal logic of story and character has always been crucially important to me because inconsistent characterisation or convenient/lazy use of ability/prowess pulls me out of any story. I assume the same will be true for other readers so always try to rationalise every aspect of any character I work on
That's how I think about it too, Alan. It has to make sense.