Chronology of ClanDestine 1-5 (2008)/3-part annual story

Got questions? He's got answers!
ChastMastr

Chronology of ClanDestine 1-5 (2008)/3-part annual story

Post by ChastMastr »

Dear Alan,

This is probably a silly question, but -- I know that the 3-part annual story this summer takes place immediately after ClanDestine 1-5 from 2008. Would you say the whole storyline takes place back in 2008 when 1-5 came out, or now when the annuals are coming out, or some other time? Is the Wolverine we'll be seeing the one we have now running the school, or from before? (Etc.) So much of Marvel's stuff the last few years has been event-driven... Is the FF annual before Johnny died or after he came back? And so on...

(Mind you, I think things are vastly better now than in 2008. The X-Men's school is back, Captain America is alive again, Iron Man isn't a jerk, etc. I'm personally eager to forget the grim/dark era as fast as I possibly can.)

Or, heck, is it mostly continuity-free and can I put it whenever I want?

(Corrected misspelling in title of thread, since it's the chronology I am asking about--chromology could be interesting from an artistic perspective, of course! :lol: )
Last edited by ChastMastr on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Current mood: Glad Marvel has vastly improved
ChastMastr

Re: Chromology of ClanDestine 1-5 (2008)/3-part annual story

Post by ChastMastr »

(In my ideal world, of course, it would be continuity-free enough -- no references to any big Marvel changes like Civil War, or Siege, or the Future Foundation, or Schism, or Avengers vs. X-Men, or the closing of Xavier's school/opening of the Jean Grey school, or any of the big deaths/returns (Captain America, Thor, Johnny Storm, anyone else I'm forgetting) that it could just stand alone and go wherever one wants to put it, or just read all by itself as a timeless stand-alone story... kind of hoping for that one actually!)
DonCampbell

Re: Chronology of ClanDestine 1-5 (2008)/3-part annual story

Post by DonCampbell »

Okay, I'm not Alan Davis but I can remind you of something that he said about the 2008 miniseries in an interview (MEETING THE FAMILY - ALAN DAVIS ON CLANDESTINE) posted on Newsarama on December 6, 2007: “despite the amount of time that has passed in the ‘real world’ the new story continues from soon after the family’s last appearance in the X-Men/ClanDestine crossover.”

So, first there was the ClanDestine series which began in 1994 and (sadly) ended in 1995. Next, there was the X-Men and the ClanDestine two-issue miniseries which was published in late 1996 and which picked up the storyline from not long after ClanDestine #8. Then, there was the five-issue miniseries published in 2008 which began "soon" after the X-Men/ClanDestine meeting. And now, there is Fantastic Four Annual #33 which begins "just days after" the last scene from the CD miniseries, with Vincent's grave bursting open.

My best guess would be that the storyline in the ClanDestine LS and the 2012 Annuals should be set in the same time period as comics published in 1997 or 1998. The events in the FF Annual are only described as taking place "some time ago." Plus, the fact that Dr. Strange seems to still be the Sorceror Supreme definitely pushes it back at least a few years, even in Marvel Time.

Don Campbell
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

I remember reading in another interview that Alan does state that these stories take place in the past. Don't quote me on it but I think I also remember Alan saying that he hopes the annuals come out quickly since a lot of "comic time" as already passed.
~Matt
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

Thank you both!! I appreciate it very much!! :D
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Temporal continuity was always problematic, even before the major universe wide events that destabilised individual titles continuity for the term of a story arc, but more recently changes linger, often until another event turns back the clock. IF the ClanDestine book had continued in an unbroken run for a number of years I might have been forced to acknowledge the Multiverse continuity—which actually would have been a mistake in the case of the three annuals since they were in the pipe-line for so long. What I decided to do was make no reference to recent continuity, focusing on the ‘classic’ aspects of each character, to avoid creating an obvious inconsistency.