Thank you Alan!

Got questions? He's got answers!
Askanipsion

Thank you Alan!

Post by Askanipsion »

Alan,

I just wanted to thank you for posting the new Rachel Summers/Phoenix digital picture. She is my all time favorite character and I always loved you drawing her especially during her Phoenix times in classic Excalibur.

It is breath-taking! Just beautiful!

Thanks again!

Stephen
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thank you Stephen. I'm glad you liked it.

Alan
chuck gibson

Post by chuck gibson »

I'll second that! That's an absolutely gorgeous experiment if I've ever seen one. Thank you much for my new wallpaper on my desktop with this one.

Have you considered doing an entire project like this? I love the work you've done for years, mind you, but I know I'd certainly be interested in seeing you pursue this a bit as well. Beautiful!

best
chuck gibson
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks Chuck.

I enjoyed the experience of putting the Phoenix image together but it isn’t really something I’d want to do on a regular basis. Some of the recently published colour (painted?!) comic work had made me wonder about how the images were created and I was curious as to how difficult it might be. It wasn’t-- In fact it was incredibly easy BUT it didn’t feel like ‘real art’. More like collage.

All the best

Alan
Row

Post by Row »

However you managed to put it all together, still a stunning piece and the phoenix effect is fabulous, puts most colourists to shame for sure.

Would make a great poster.

All the best

Row.
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks, Row.

As I have explained elsewhere, the ‘flaming wing’ effect was the real purpose of my experiment. The thing that frustrates me most about the ‘rendered’ computer colouring I have received in the past is that many colourists will render the living daylights out of a face (or fleshy thigh)— sometimes destroying or obscuring the expression-- when the area they could contribute most is in those amorphous elements like fire, water, smoke… etc. If you check out the examples of Frank Bellamy colour work on my site you’ll see how well this can be done by a real artist.

Alan
Row

Post by Row »

Alan,

I'd already taken a look at the Frank Bellamy colour work on your site....... big fan of his too, used to read garth in the daily mirror everyday when I was a nipper.

Not sure if you already know, but I read somewhere that The Trigan Empire was to be released in a series of hardcover volumes, loved Don Lawerence's work on that.

Good to hear the news from Robin that you're attending the Bristol expo this year, not sure if I'll be going this time around... but if I do, I'll offer to buy you a pint for the sage advice you've passed on to all us struggling artists..... if I can muster the courage that is.

All the best

Row.
When lady luck enters, get her a seat