Some Excalibur Questions

Got questions? He's got answers!
itod47

Some Excalibur Questions

Post by itod47 »

Alan, thank you for your wonderful work over the decades. You are, hands down, my favorite comics artist of all.

Some random questions as I've been re-reading your Excalibur runs:

* I'm curious about Kylun's (cool) feline adult appearance. As a kid reading Excalibur, I had assumed Kylun was intentionally (and consensually) transformed over the years via the magicks of some Ee'rath mystic in order to craft a more effective and fearsome warrior. But upon re-reading, it dawned on me that his appearance may have just been another manifestation of his "normal" mutant abilities (besides the ability to exactly reproduce any sound). Can you elucidate: what was the cause of Kylun's awesome adult appearance?

* When the Starjammers and Prof. X appeared in the final frames of Excalibur #17, did you and/or Chris intend this to be the Starjammers native to that alternate Earth? Or was this the Starjammers of Earth-616, somehow transported across dimensions specifically to find and help Excalibur return home? (BTW, Excalibur 16-17 are my two favorite comics of all time.)

* Was Scatterbrain related to Fascination? Or were they merely from the same planet/of the same race? Fascination seems to be much more intelligent.

* Was Alysande a lesbian? As a gay kid reading comics, I imagined/hoped she was, and thought it was cool to see that represented in a mainstream comic book (don't crush my dreams now! lol).

If you get a chance to answer, thank you very much for your time :)
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Some Excalibur Questions

Post by Alan Davis »

* I'm curious about Kylun's (cool) feline adult appearance. As a kid reading Excalibur, I had assumed Kylun was intentionally (and consensually) transformed over the years via the magicks of some Ee'rath mystic in order to craft a more effective and fearsome warrior. But upon re-reading, it dawned on me that his appearance may have just been another manifestation of his "normal" mutant abilities (besides the ability to exactly reproduce any sound). Can you elucidate: what was the cause of Kylun's awesome adult appearance?
My idea was that Kylun’s appearance was due to his mutant nature and designed to suggest he had some sort of animalistic ability, that helped him become a great warrior, in the hope his true power would appear amusingly pathetic when it was revealed. With, hopefully, the realisation that his fighting prowess is ‘earned’.
* When the Starjammers and Prof. X appeared in the final frames of Excalibur #17, did you and/or Chris intend this to be the Starjammers native to that alternate Earth? Or was this the Starjammers of Earth-616, somehow transported across dimensions specifically to find and help Excalibur return home? (BTW, Excalibur 16-17 are my two favorite comics of all time.)
Chris’s idea was that Excalibur had actually arrived in the 616 universe but, lacking any familiar landmarks, assumed they were in an alternate reality.
* Was Scatterbrain related to Fascination? Or were they merely from the same planet/of the same race? Fascination seems to be much more intelligent.
Only the name was changed—and the costume streamlined.
* Was Alysande a lesbian? As a gay kid reading comics, I imagined/hoped she was, and thought it was cool to see that represented in a mainstream comic book (don't crush my dreams now! lol).
I hadn’t ever given it any thought. Dream on!
itod47

Re: Some Excalibur Questions

Post by itod47 »

Alan, thanks for your thoughtful responses. I think I speak for everyone here when I say it's a real thrill to hear these kinds of details from you directly.

Looking forward to the Clanuals!!!!