Crazy Gang from Excalibur

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

Crazy Gang from Excalibur

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Hello Mr. Davis,

Is there any info you can provide on the Crazy Gang? Can you share your thoughts on the characters? There seems to be a bit of divergence in their evolution. In the Captain Britain trade I have Jamie Deleano seems to have them oddballs that are dangerous but totally out of synch with this world. Later, it seems Chris Claremont used them more as comic relief. Tweedledope's rat chariot was pretty cool.

Excalibur 4 and 5 were decent issues although I thought it would have been more enjoyable to have Rachel and the Red Queen switch rather than Rachel and the Executioner. It would have been funny to see Rachel's body spitting phlegm with a crazed face shouting "Orf wiv 'er 'eads!"

And later, the issue, sorry forgot the number, where the Crazy Gang sort of reform was a nicely handled evolution. So in other words, I'd like to see you handle the character again.

Thanks!

DM Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Crazy Gang from Excalibur

Post by Alan Davis »

I think it would be true to say that the Crazy Gang’s evolution was a result of opposing ambitions and convenience.
The Crazy Gang, or at least their names, were conceived before I was involved with Captain Britain so I don’t know whether it was Paul Neary or Dave Thorpe who originated the names or necessity for a group. I assumed they were a pastiche of Batman foes (a few of which had roots in Alice’s Wonderland) primarily because Dave Thorpe had no real interest in the Superhero genre and his script for episode one presented them as little more than hooks for a few throwaway gags.
My recollection is that Dave was more concerned about the tramps who featured in the story. In just five pages, aside from the introduction of the Crazy Gang (all six members plus the Dormouse copter pilot and two ‘magician’ stooges) there is a recap of Cap’s departure from Otherworld, his costume metamorphosis, hints at a wondrous destiny (which, in reality, far exceeded my expectations) and the revelation that Cap had arrived in an alternate Britain. That would be enough for a twelve issue mini-series nowadays.
When Alan decided to use Jim Jaspers as our Proteus I was disappointed there wasn’t a role for the rest of the group so I planned a storyline when I took over as writer. An offer from DC stalled my writing ambitions but Jamie followed my plot and long-story during his term on CB so the Crazy Gang were consistent with my vision at that point.
I don’t recall making any change in my approach to the Gang when they appeared in Excalibur but, as Marvel’s ‘Cosmic Comedy’ title, the humour in Excalibur was broader and more slapstick—which may have affected how the Gang appeared.
I don’t have any real desire to do further Crazy Gang stories. I was more than satisfied with the story I was able to write in Excalibur 54.

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

Re: Crazy Gang from Excalibur

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Thank you for your reply and the information. And I appreciate the clear answers you provide. I find it much better to know that you have no plans to use characters and/or work on titles than leaving some cryptic answer that are open to interpretation.