Wowed by ClanDestine

Got questions? He's got answers!
ronaldweasley

Wowed by ClanDestine

Post by ronaldweasley »

Mr. Davis,

I know some of them are over a decade old, but I must express my thoughts on the wonderful ClanDestine books. Every time I look at them I get excited all over again. I hope it is OK to talk about older work.

In the 90's, I heard you were doing a new book called ClanDestine. Great to hear, said I. And even better, you did the writing chores as well as the art (I have always liked your stories and characterization better than that of any of the writers whose stories you illustrated).

I was unprepared, however, for how very interesting ClanDestine would prove to be. As great as the artwork was, the story and basic concept behind the series is what really grabbed me. That, and the characters. The whole thing with them being essentially a family of superheroes was a great idea. The sense of very deep and far-reaching family history and the genie mother of the Clan were all so very intriguing. (I loved the scene where Walter told Rory and Pandora the truth about themselves and their family). I was buzzing with questions about some of their elder siblings (now, presumably deceased) and about the biggest mystery of all, Vincent. I particularly liked Walter and the twins. And the fact that ClanDestine was a self contained story of its own-without any interference from the Marvel Universe, was particularly appealing. But best of all, when I read this comic, I forgot I was reading a comic-I just fell right into the story.

I found myself really caring about the Clan and anxiously awaiting the next installment every month. I had only ever looked forward to a comic with this much excitement twice before, with Elfquest and later with D.P. 7.

And just when I was really getting into this book you left the series. I was devastated. Then suddenly the book was cancelled. I don't suppose it's any of my business what happened, but I've been puzzled for a long time about this.

I was very pleased that ClanDestine appeared again alongside the X-Men and even more pleased by the Blood Relative story. This was excellent, by the way. I hadn't been this wowed by a comic in years.

Thanks for this excellent, excellent comic.

I hope you plan to visit the Clan again someday. It is my favorite series you ever worked on.
Keoni

Re: Wowed by ClanDestine

Post by Keoni »

You're in great company, I feel the exact same way about ClanDestine and Mr Davis' writing.
Mr Davis has posted here in the forum that he has three or four (can't remember) annuals or specials that feature the FF, Daredevil and Wolverine meeting the ClanDestine and continuing their story IIRC. And it ties into the Thor Special he did a year or so ago.

Here's one of the threads - http://www.alandavis-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=868
ronaldweasley

Post by ronaldweasley »

Thanks Keoni,

But I am a little confused. What exactly are the trilogy of annuals featuring ClanDestine? I want to head to one of the local comic shops and get them post-hase.
Keoni

Post by Keoni »

Mr. Davis said in a post that he's finishing up the last one now, or maybe he already has finished it. But Marvel hasn't printed any of them. They've not been scheduled in the recent solicits either. Not sure when they'll be published, but hopefully before year's end. But it sounds like they pick up the story from the end of Blood Relatives and moves forward.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I have been told the three annuals-- Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Wolverine—will be published at the end of the year. I wrote the plots and finished pencilling the first annual in 2009. I completed the DD book in 2010 and the Wolverine earlier this year-- so it has been a while to say the least.
The three books, each 38 pages, can be read as individual issues but do form a single larger story.
The events do follow on directly from Blood Relative and there is a Clan Destine presence in each title but not what you might expect. I hope!
ronaldweasley

Post by ronaldweasley »

Thanks for the update! I'll look for them. Please don't let Clandestine vanish, Mr. Davis. Your fans love it!!!