Brief, but Shameless, Praise

Got questions? He's got answers!
Ravalox

Brief, but Shameless, Praise

Post by Ravalox »

Dear Mr Davis,

Just a quick message to thank you - deeply - for your magnificent work for all these years. I grew up with Captain Britain ("The Crooked World" - and certain panel in particular - will haunt me forever) and I follow your work to date, enjoying every pencil. Your artwork truly captures my imagination even now, and I hope you continue to share your wonderful visions with us all.

I did originally send this as an email, but I completely overlooked the message that you couldn't reply in person - not that I am seeking a response. So I've copied it here. :)

However, having a forum where you may reply is almost too much... I'm resisting the temptation to ask you a question that has been at the back of my mind for years!!

Rest assured, I'll keep it bottled up. ;)

But, as I've said, thank you for the sheer joy you brought me throughout my childhood..and beyond.

Warm Regards.
Carl
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Re: Brief, but Shameless, Praise

Post by Matt Platis »

Ravalox wrote:Dear Mr Davis,
However, having a forum where you may reply is almost too much... I'm resisting the temptation to ask you a question that has been at the back of my mind for years!!

Rest assured, I'll keep it bottled up. ;)
C'mon Carl! Ask away! Alan is very good at keeping up with all the traffic and questions here.
~Matt
Ravalox

Post by Ravalox »

Oh gawd Matt... But it's a really geeky question! LOL! Uh. Alright...(and I am genuinely cringing.. but it has been something I've pondered about, if I'm honest to myself):

In the Excalibur (Vol 1) issue where Nightcrawler and Cappy go head-to-head over Brian's (not quite unjustified IMO) jealousy with regards to the closeness of Kurt and Meggan's friendship.... During (and in the aftermath), Braddock was depicted to have bruises from the conflict. I always wondered if that was an error (not that Alan makes errors!! *gulps*) seeing as (a) Kurt isn't known to have enhanced strength, and (b) Brian is 'on-nigh invunerable'.

Succinctly, are these 'details' added by others after the initial pencils, or did Mr Davis indeed intend to show such damage to Brian? And if so, could he give us his opinion as to how much punishment Brian can take in terms of invunerability (ie. is/was he more resiliant than, say, Colossus?) The Marvel Universe Handbooks are often unhelpful, since they only refer to concussive forces rather than comparisons to their peers.

See? Really bleedin' geeky. LOL!

On a more pleading note, I play the "City of Heroes" superhero MMO to relax with after a hard day's work in the service of Her Majesty, and I like to think my 'hero' is a homage to everything Mr Davis taught me about characterisation. I've always thought it's not a comic-book without Mr Davis' art somewhere. How incredibly awesome (oh my god, I've reverted to my childhood!) would it be if Alan was hired by Cryptic Studios for CoH...

Is this something he'd ever be interested in doing? Art-work for the computer gaming industry?

Well.. thats my reputation down the drain, and only in two posts. I'm improving! ;)

Cheers
Carl
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Firstly, thanks for using the Forum, Carl. It really is so much more efficient than answering e-mails. Thanks also for your extremely kind words and support.
AND I’d be interested in hearing which panel from the Crooked World haunts you.

The damage/bruising was all drawn by me—Because the consequences of violence was one of the (many) themes in the story… which also had CB accidentally breaking Kurt’s leg.
There are a couple of factors that explain Brain’s injuries.
1. Captain Britain is tough but he isn’t invulnerable.
2. The arcane circuitry in CB’s costume enhances and charges his abilities. So he is less powerful in mufti.
3. Brian’s injuries were incurred when Kurt teleported him, mid rampage, into the rocks below the lighthouse so that he flew into the rocks with undiminished momentum. Kurt using strategy to defeat a more powerful opponent with his own strength was another theme… to reinforce Kurt’s position as team leader.

I regularly have offers to work outside of comics but, at least for the moment, it really doesn’t appeal. I don’t enjoy the ‘committee’ aspect of advertising, TV, film or computer game design. Comics may not pay as well but they are certainly more fun.

Alan
Ravalox

Post by Ravalox »

Holy-!

Uhhh... I need to compose myself.. I've just had a reply from THE Alan Davis... Thats like - to me - a Star Trek fan getting a reply from THE William Shatner! :lol:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my pretty banal query... Its amazing how long this teenie-tiny detail lingered at the back of my mind for all this time. To be fair, I pretty knew deep down that it was something that obvious, but I guess it took the bloke who actually drew it to give me closure! The subtext of that particular issue was/is nothing short of wonderful, and it remains one of my favourite possessions to date - not least because it shows us - the reader - that despite everything they can do, superheroes "are people too". And what is more emotive than a jealous spat?

Before I gush any further, I have to say the decision to make Kurt the defacto leader of the team was a masterstroke; the temptation to make the 'flag hero' the head often makes the dynamic cliched. In avoiding this, Excalibur rose above the clutter and into it's own 'side-real string'. ;)

I didnt realise that - as an artist - there are different ways to work, depending on the industry you are hired by. It's certainly an eye-opener. Therefore I don't blame you for steering clear. And you're right, comics are so much more fun, for all concerned. Of course, I'll take the liberty in mentioning "City of Heroes" has it's own comic series published by Top Cow. It's hardly mainstream, but I have to say it has promise! If you're curious, it's certainly worth have a peek. DISCLAIMER: I don't work for CoH, Cyrptic or Top Cow! LOL!

Finally... "The Crooked World". Well, I have to admit to making a bit of a slip-up. I meant a panel from the whole "Jaspers" arc - which I call the "Crooked World" in private. Heh. Anyway, the panel that haunts me in particular is from the issue "Waiting For the End of the World". It's a half-panel with an image of the 'concetration camp' (for want of a better word). There is a pile of heroes (including Captain Britain), and a STRIKE 'beetle-head' perched on top. Besty is in chains, screaming. But that isnt what disturbed me, horrible as the aforementioned is, but what is in the background: Spiderman and Captain America. Ragged, covered in lice, and utterly broken. That really gripped me in a fist of ice.. I still remember it now, and I still react the same when I read my copy of the TPB.

I think it's because these are symbols. Symbols I grew up with. The stories of Cap A and Spiderman are pretty much ingrained to a vast swathe of generations. Their adventures epitomize the human spirit, our ability to fight for what is right, despite personal hardship.

And here I had them in chains, broken, filthy and apathetic.

Truly shocking. And I thank you for helping me - as a child - understand the horrors of the real life analogue of these camps. Before then, I lacked the emotive understanding a child of my age had. Not only did comics entertain me, they educated me. And they educated me in a way school never did. Thank you sir.

However, after discovering my error last night re: "TCW", I had a flick through that particular issue, and there is in-fact a panel from that very story that I recall scaring me as a child too (Mr Davis, I blame you for all my nightmares! LOL!). Its one of the first panels... where the Status Crew looks at a monitor and sees London under the Reality Warp. My god.. as a kid, the notion of a world dissolving into dribbling lunacy was nothing short of bed-wetting!

But like everything as a young lad, the scarier it was, the cooler it was.

I'll leave my ramblings right here.... but it's made my decade hearing from you.

Now all I'm waiting for is William Shatner... the slacker.. ;)

Cheers
Carl
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Ravalox wrote:Holy-!

Uhhh... I need to compose myself.. I've just had a reply from THE Alan Davis... Thats like - to me - a Star Trek fan getting a reply from THE William Shatner! :lol:
See now don't you feel better? :D
~Matt
Ravalox

Post by Ravalox »

Matt Platis wrote: See now don't you feel better? :D
LOL! I certainly do! :D