When you leave a character...

Got questions? He's got answers!
Crusader K

When you leave a character...

Post by Crusader K »

Alan,

I've been curious. I just picked up the Eaglemoss figurine of Marvel Girl, otherwise known as Rachel, and I was vaguely annoyed.

I respected that you took on the character and not only straightened out her backstory but actually gave her a personality and made her very likeable. But then the whole crazy "lost in time / Mother Askani / alternate body blah blah blah" thing came about after you left the character that once again threw her story into chaos.

I wondered how you felt about some of the characters that you'd invested so much time and story into and then saw them so radically changed?

I know that technically, you don't own say, Phoenix or Captain Britain and that really, the Marvel corporation owns them, but do you look at how some characters have progressed afterwards and well...wince? LOL
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: When you leave a character...

Post by Alan Davis »

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I tend not to follow characters after I’ve left the book—primarily to avoid being irritated. Having said that, I could never criticise any creator who follows my tenure because we’re all part of a creative continuum and I’m sure my treatment of Phoenix, and indeed Captain Britain, might have upset their creators (Chris Claremont in both instances) and fans of the original incarnation.
Crusader K

Re: When you leave a character...

Post by Crusader K »

Thank you Alan!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"