ClanDestine, X-Men Thank Yous

Got questions? He's got answers!
Elflore

ClanDestine, X-Men Thank Yous

Post by Elflore »

Dear Mr. Davis,

I'm something of a latecomer to ClanDestine, having recently discovered the X-Men crossover in a secondhand shop. I'd been a fan of your art for a long time, but had only distantly heard of the Destines, yet I was immediately intrigued by the blend of history and family dynamics that drove these characters. I sought out the complete hardcover collection and fell even more in love with them, and have finally just gotten my hands on the "Blood Relative" collection as well. I look forward to the upcoming Marvel annuals, and whatever other future releases might offer more of the backstory and ongoing saga of this wonderful tribe. Especially if we might see more of "Cap'n Oz," or if Pandora can finally have a conversation with her mother!

On a more esoteric note, I'd also like to say a huge THANK YOU for this piece I discovered today on your site: http://www.alandavis-comicart.com/images/WCyclops.jpg
While I was a fan of many of Cyclops' post-Claremont 90s stories (I loved that Scott and Jean were finally able to get married and start building a life, and found him a much more compelling and entertaining leader for the school in those days than the morally ambiguous version Marvel is currently presenting), "not everyone is cool" and "readers who like practical, solid types...are in the minority, but they identify with me" eloquently sums up a lot of things I've been feeling about this character since his "death." I'm not interested in a "bad-@$$" Cyclops, cavorting with Emma Frost and running anti-terrorist death squads. Give me the straight-arrow idealist any day.

Thanks again for all your awesome,

John Derrick
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: ClanDestine, X-Men Thank Yous

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for kind words about Clandestine, John.
I haven’t kept track of Cyclops’ fate but my the sketch ‘appeal’ was motivated by my belief that in making every character ‘kewl’ the group, family, team are homogenised into sterility. Its the diversity of a group that generates appeal and gives a contrast that enhances the cool, dark or wild characters’.
Alan