Who is Jazz in ClanDestine?

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

Who is Jazz in ClanDestine?

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Hello!

I recently received the ClanDestine Classic hardcover. In the back are some character sketch designs. On one page is Argent in full metal armor design. On the same page is a character named Jazz. She has a short bob haircut compared to Samantha's log hair. Jazz also has a cat next her, then another full body sketch of her in trenchcoat, wide hat, sunglasses and tall boots completely hiding her identity. Finally there is a headshot of her with a head scarf, sunglasses and mask across her mouth. I also remember an early promo picture that had the whole family and apparently Jazz in in long coat, boots, sunglasses and long coat. Since it was later revealed that Kay's name is also Jasmine, I'm thinking this is the same character as Cuckoo? I was just wondering about the evolution of the design of the character since Jazz and Cuckoo/Kay even in the Kay Cera body seem to be quite different.

Thanks!

DM Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Who is Jazz in ClanDestine?

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Jim
Jazz is indeed Jasmine/Kay/Cuckoo. As I have noted elsewhere the design concepts for the Clan’s superhero visuals were all based on different heroic era’s. Wallop the HULKish monster with no costume, the Crimson Crusader and Imp represent ing the wholesome fifties heroes and Vex the sixties Ditko weirdness... I toyed with the idea of representing the Doom Patrol’s tragic reality by giving Kay a bandaged appearance when her latest host would begin to mutate. Just one of the many threads I had planned in my long story.
Alan
Keoni

Post by Keoni »

Was Jasmine's new host's mutation set up in that first issue? I remember Albert scanning her body and noting something. Something not even he could cure. Poor Jasmine, having to hide behind bandages. She loves her physical beauty and physical pleasures, what a blow that would be to her. Would her mutation have been for the worse or for the better?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Definitely for the worse! And yes, Albert was aware that something was amiss.

Alan
Keoni

Post by Keoni »

Was Jasmine's transformation still playing out during the Blood Relative run?

During the X-Men and the Clandestine team-up... Jasmine asks Dominic to examine her physcial body after she admits to losing a degree of control. And in the first volume, she was laughing fiendishly when she mentally visited the thugs that attacked her host in Spain. She scared them with a vision of a demon or a visage of death.

But in the Blood Relative run, in the first issue Adam has visions of the future and in the bottom shard is an eye that looks like a lizard or a demon, and Adam states that his visions are related to the suffering of his children. Could this be related to what you revealed about Jasmine in the above post?