Old storylines during your run...

Got questions? He's got answers!
Crusader K

Old storylines during your run...

Post by Crusader K »

Hi Alan,

A thought struck me as I was reading the Alan Davis Visionairies: Excalibur trade that just came out.

You seemed to clean up and answer a lot of simmering plots that had been carried for...years?...in the book prior to your cool run. F'r instance, the whole Kurt/Meggan are-they-or-aren't-they into eachother plotline. If memory serves, that had been floating about since the early days of the book and you finally resolved it. Or the whole Kylun story on Ee'rath. I mean, I'd kinda written Kylun off when Vixen lost him to Widget's transport, but you brought him back all grown.

Was it your intention to clear up some leftover plots and move on? And did you clear them up using ideas that you and Chris Claremont had discussed, or were those resolutions wholly yours?

And while I'm thinking about it - what was the significance of Rachel being dressed in the original Phoenix/green costume after her battle with Necrom? Is green a favorite color of the Phoenix, as the original Feron also wore green? Or did it signify a 'back to purity' look?

Great stuff. I can't wait for the next volume to come out!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: Old storylines during your run...

Post by Alan Davis »

This has been a fairly regularly asked question—which I may well have answered elsewhere on this Forum. I suppose I should feel flattered that so many readers believe the way I tied everything together appeared to follow so long term plan because the one thing I was asked to do when I began my term as writer on Excalibur was to tie up as many of the dangling plotlines as possible—including resolving the Rachel Summers Phoenix situation—precisely because so much had remained unresolved for so long. I have no idea what plans Chris may have had and I never discussed my plans with Chris—mostly because I would have been intimidated and swayed by his opinion.

I’d love to pretend that Feron’s green robes had some cosmic significance—or even that there was a conscious Irish connection-- but the plain truth is I thought brown and grey were drab, purple is unreliable, red and yellow too gaudy which left green.

Alan
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

Alan,

Thanks as always for your answers! I really appreciate the little insights you give into the decisions that were made.

As far as Rachel's green costume goes though...after her battle with Neron she reappeared with Excalibur in the original Phoenix duds...and afterwards adopted the dark red color scheme. I know SHE said that green wasn't really her color but was this a decision you had made to reinforce her individuality and uniqueness as a seperate identity from the previous Phoenix hosts?

Or...did you just like to see her in red more? LOL!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I do prefer the red costume and would have given her the red costume earlier but holding it back gave a nice cliffhanger.

Alan
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

Thanks for the cool insight Alan!