A few questions, Mr Davis

Got questions? He's got answers!
JohnnyBoyB

A few questions, Mr Davis

Post by JohnnyBoyB »

Hi there, Alan!

I bought the ClanDestine Blood Relative TPB yesterday, and while I didn't finish reading it yet, I felt that the overall look of the book wasn't as good as the original series. It was too dark and a bit muddy, whereas the first one had a brighter look. I feel it's because of the coloring. As I've read in some interviews or even in some replies here, you tend to be a bit critical of colorworks. I'd like to know if, since CD is your project, you have a say in who the colorist is going to be, what colors he/she uses, or are you forced to compromise in order to get CD on print?

Also, I've been paying attention to a lot of my favourite comic artists latly, and I've found that the one thing they had in common was that they all worked with exceptional inkers. People tend to look at the the penciller as the main artist, but I feel the inker's work is essential. Some of my favourite duos are: John Buscema & Alfredo Alcala (from some work they did in Savage Sword of Conan), Neal Adams & Dick Giordano (their Batman issues are modern classics), John Byrne & Terry Austin (their run on X-Men was incredible, even though I'm not a fan of Byrne's more recent work), Jim Lee & Scott Williams and, finally, Alan Davis & Mark Farmer. I've seen your work inked by other inkers, and I must say Mark is my favourite. It seems like he knows what was going on in your mind when you were drawing something! I've also seen Mark ink John Byrne in a Superman Elseworlds story, and his work made Byrne look so sleek and polished - simply amazing! My question is - do you feel that a penciller's job is in part also to find some inker that works best with him, so the final result may be the best it can be? That a penciller is only as good as the inker that works after him? BTW, tell Mark he is the best inker out there, and that I loved is Superboy's Legion story! Do you encourage him to write more? If he had another project and if he asked you to pencil it, would you do it?

About CD - will we ever learn what happened to Vincent?

Finally - I'm a guy who wants to make it in the comic business. I want to be a penciller. I've been illustrating a script for a Iron Man story. Nothing official, just some sort of fan-based thing. I'm focusing on storytelling. Is it too much to ask you to take a look at some of my drawings? If so, I'll post a link so you can take a look at my work. Your feedback would be invaluable!
Alan Davis
Creator

Re: A few questions, Mr Davis

Post by Alan Davis »

I bought the ClanDestine Blood Relative TPB yesterday, and while I didn't finish reading it yet, I felt that the overall look of the book wasn't as good as the original series. It was too dark and a bit muddy, whereas the first one had a brighter look. I feel it's because of the coloring.
I agree! And I did try to have the colouring improved but it was an exercise in futility.
As I've read in some interviews or even in some replies here, you tend to be a bit critical of color work(s).

More than a bit.
I'd like to know if, since CD is your project, you have a say in who the colorist is going to be, what colors he/she uses, or are you forced to compromise in order to get CD on print?
I was given the opportunity to choose from a pool of available colourists but, despite try-outs and spending a good deal of time explaining what I wanted to achieve, once the colourists got the pages they generally did what they wanted—and because they are last in the productive chain they usually allowed inadequate opportunity for corrections.
Also, I've been paying attention to a lot of my favourite comic artists latly, and I've found that the one thing they had in common was that they all worked with exceptional inkers. People tend to look at the the penciller as the main artist, but I feel the inker's work is essential.
I agree but there seems to be a trend to believe inkers are obsolete. I have had two or three colourists tell me that I should let them ‘digitally ink’ my pencils because, in their opinion, the results would be indistinguishable from Mark’s inks.
Some of my favourite duos are: John Buscema & Alfredo Alcala (from some work they did in Savage Sword of Conan), Neal Adams & Dick Giordano (their Batman issues are modern classics), John Byrne & Terry Austin (their run on X-Men was incredible, even though I'm not a fan of Byrne's more recent work), Jim Lee & Scott Williams and, finally, Alan Davis & Mark Farmer. I've seen your work inked by other inkers, and I must say Mark is my favourite. It seems like he knows what was going on in your mind when you were drawing something! I've also seen Mark ink John Byrne in a Superman Elseworlds story, and his work made Byrne look so sleek and polished - simply amazing! My question is - do you feel that a penciller's job is in part also to find some inker that works best with him, so the final result may be the best it can be?
It’s always sensible to work with the best people.
That a penciller is only as good as the inker that works after him?
Pencils are erased so it is the ink lines that survive to the printed page.
BTW, tell Mark he is the best inker out there, and that I loved is Superboy's Legion story!
The SULTAN OF SLICK!
Do you encourage him to write more?
I did—and to pencil too—But I think Mark is happiest inking.
If he had another project and if he asked you to pencil it, would you do it?
Are you’re his agent? Yes, if it was a good idea.
About CD - will we ever learn what happened to Vincent?
Yes
Finally - I'm a guy who wants to make it in the comic business. I want to be a penciller. I've been illustrating a script for a Iron Man story. Nothing official, just some sort of fan-based thing. I'm focusing on storytelling. Is it too much to ask you to take a look at some of my drawings?
I’m happy to look and comment as long as you understand that I’m always direct and blunt in my assessment. AND I don’t have any sway with editors at any company so I’m not in a position to be able to help you on the career ladder.
If so, I'll post a link so you can take a look at my work. Your feedback would be invaluable!
If you don’t want to make your link publicly accessible send it to my Website e-mail address.
JohnnyBoyB

Post by JohnnyBoyB »

A colourist that makes his work indistinguishable from Mark's inks?! I don't even want to go there...

Anyway, here's the link: http://johnnyboybaptista.deviantart.com ... -Man-Story

It's not finished yet, but you'll find there 5 consecutive sequential pages. Since there's a flashback in the middle, it may seem out of place, but that's how it is.

You'll notice my style is relatively different from yours. Not just because you're a better artist than I am, but simply because I do everything 100% digital and only lineart, while you tend to render your stuff. I do that because, the way the industry is going now (with colorists that feel they can rival Mark's inks), I find it safer to do my lineart and present as final as I can so no colorist can ruin it, and let them colorists render the drawing with colors, which seems the common place now. I think it's wise to keep up with certain things, and frankly, I like this look, so it's also something I do that I find pleasing for my eyes.

I also try to avoid the cold digital feel, and try to bring a bit of an "old school" feel to it.

Anyway, I hope you can give me some useful tips, and since I know you're a penciller who focuses on storytelling first and foremost, I'd really like to know what you think of my work in that area.

Don't worry - be as aggressive as you like.

Oh, and when I asked you to take a look at my stuff, I honestely wasn't expecting you to recommend to an editor at all. I just like to hear feedback from pros such as yourself!

Thanks in advance!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

You'll notice my style is relatively different from yours. Not just because you're a better artist than I am, but simply because I do everything 100% digital and only lineart, while you tend to render your stuff. I do that because, the way the industry is going now (with colorists that feel they can rival Mark's inks), I find it safer to do my lineart and present as final as I can so no colorist can ruin it, and let them colorists render the drawing with colors, which seems the common place now. I think it's wise to keep up with certain things, and frankly, I like this look, so it's also something I do that I find pleasing for my eyes.
I don’t follow your logic but you seem very content with your approach so stick with it if it suits you.
I also try to avoid the cold digital feel, and try to bring a bit of an "old school" feel to it.
I don’t know what you mean by “old school”.
Anyway, I hope you can give me some useful tips, and since I know you're a penciller who focuses on storytelling first and foremost, I'd really like to know what you think of my work in that area.
Storytelling is far more about expression, body language, mood and movement, than just putting panels into a narrative sequence, so there really isn’t very much I could comment upon based on the samples you posted. Sorry.
JohnnyBoyB

Post by JohnnyBoyB »

Thanks anyway! :)
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

JohnnyBoyB,

Have you ever read Toth's critique of Steve Rude? Rude is a phenominal artist but Toth is one of the masters andreally tears apart his story telling technique. A real insight...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread ... 10%2024328

you may need to scroll up.