Paul Neary

Got questions? He's got answers!
Gordon Somers

Paul Neary

Post by Gordon Somers »

Alan,

Are you still in regular contact with Paul Neary? And how much influence did he have on you starting out - I know his words of wisdom for me were always incredible to hear. And I can't believe he worked with Syd Jordan (he never mentioned that!!) - talking of whom, do you know if it would be possible to track down who has rights to publish Lance MacLean?

Gordon
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Yes Paul and I keep in touch.

Paul had a huge influence on my career. He gave me my first break, taught me many of the basics about storytelling, inking and the business in general.

Not only did he work with Syd Jordan, he lived in the same building for a number of years-- A beautiful house in the country that had been converted into apartments.

I think Syd still owns the copyright to Lance MacLean.

Alan
Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

That's good to know - would be nice if it was ever reprinted as I miss that strip (I'd guess it's been about 20 yeas since it was published).

And another quick question if I may indulge - Mr Neary once said you had a love for Scottish Chip shops - favourite supper?

Gordon
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I wouldn't say I 'love' them but the fish supper from the Chippies (I think they were called Blue Dolphin) had to be experienced to be believed. Chips the size of brickies thumbs that were so saturated in dripping they slid down the throat without any chewing. The mystery is how any regular customers could live for longer than six months.

Alan
Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

Well, more than likely being a Glasgow Chippie, they probably are!!