More questions for Excalibur

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

More questions for Excalibur

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Hello Mr. Davis!

Hope you don't mind all the questions about the defunct series Excalibur. The original is my all-time favorite series.

If you have any behind the scene stories, history or even just opinions for the Warwolves and the Crazy Gang I'd be grateful if you shared. I almost always enjoyed the quirkiness of the series and the villains.

Thanks,
Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Jim

The Crazy Gang really originated as a sort of spoof of Batman villains crossed with the Alice in Wonderland theme. Jim Jaspers as the Joker, the Clown as the Riddler… But the idea evolved and became very different as we batted them back and forth. If the writer throws out a name and power, or even includes a brief character description, it remains amorphous until there is a visual. The visual will usually coalesce all of the vague notions into specifics. Dave Thorpe always had elements of political satire he included in the subtext that helped to mould the characters but never made it into the published work. Paul Neary was behind the Multiverse concept, as a sort of Earth 2 principle to allow us to use Marvel characters without being hamstrung by continuity. Saturnyne and Captain UK were both female characters that Dave initiated and, at the time, they were very radical female (feminist) characters-- very different from each other and both superior to Captain Britain. Dave also came up with the Vixen character although she never appeared until after he left the book. I think Dave’s idea was that she should be like Margaret Thatcher (a truly evil woman fleecing the country with spineless henchmen who fear her—not very subtle political satire).

The Warwolves were supposed to be creations of Mojo and the original concept for their visual was very different… cute young children harnessed in painful looking canine exoskeletons—very Clockwork Orange. I think I might still have a sketch.

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

cute young children harnessed in painful looking canine exoskeletons—
That is truly,...bizarre. :lol:

I'm going to guess in that incarnation the warwolves did not 'skin' their victims and then wear the skin? Then again, maybe they were suppose to? :!:

I'd love to see the sketch if you could find it.

Thank you for taking the time to always answer my questions. Having access to my favorite comics creator is just so damn cool!

DM Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks Jim

I have posted the Warwolves design in the last 'Trivia Archive' update on my site.

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

Thank you sir.

Yup, that child exoskeleton idea is quite bizarre.

Jim