Excalibur

Got questions? He's got answers!
Michael P

Excalibur

Post by Michael P »

Hey Alan, I'm a long time fan of your pencils and writing and I have a question.

When Chris Claremont left Excalibur, were his plots given to you to script off of or did you create all of the stories on your own? The reason I am asking is because we see things tied up in your last issues on Excalibur that had started way back in the first few issues.

Did you enjoy writing/pencilling Excalibur? Was it offered to you, thrown at you or did you have to ask to do it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was just interested.

-Michael
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I have been asked the very same question a number of times, Michael and I suppose I should be flattered readers thought the story worked so well that the conclusion must have been planned from the start. The fact is I had no idea what, if anything Chris had planned and I devised the story myself.

I had a terrific time writing and pencilling Excalibur—due in no small part to the encouragement and support I had from Terry Kavanagh.
It was Terry who had offered me the assignment. He knew I had aspirations to write but was possibly the only editor who thought I could pull it off. He was actually far more confident that I was myself.
Michael P

Post by Michael P »

Thanks Alan. I'm sorry to ask you, when it seems like you've answered this before. I wasn't sure so I asked.

I'm even more impressed that you came up with all of that on your own. Its most impressive how things came together.

Thanks again.

Mike.
JackalsIII

Post by JackalsIII »

I loved how you came back to Excalibur and tied up all of those storylines and I thought it came off like that was the original plan too!