Questions about your career/ comic runs

Got questions? He's got answers!
j1jes

Questions about your career/ comic runs

Post by j1jes »

First I have to say, even before I knew who you were, I loved your art. The Batman stuff and an Batman/Superman story about vampires I believe had been issues that I would remember fondly later, then I realized yhou did them!! You also happend to be my saving grace for reading a quality art and WRITING X-book after Claremont left UX</X-men in 92.

I had a few questions about your career and art/writing.

1. Who is your favorite character to draw - x related and non x-related?

2. What was your favorite issue or arc - x related and non x-related?

3. Favorite writter/co-plotter?

4. Will you ever work with Paul Neary again? I love Mark's work but also loved Neary inking you.

5. I LOVED YOUR SOLO run on Excalibur. It seems like your departure the 2nd time from Exaclibur was quick and nonanticiapted. Did you intend to leave when you did? If not why did you?

6. If you had stayed on Exaclibur what was your future plans for the characters?

7. I am reading the old Captain B work and loving it esp how Excalibur tied it together. Any chance you returning to Exaclibur with Claremont?

8. Excalibur solo if Claremont went to other projects?

9. How do you feel about what happend to Rachel/Phoenix in the 90s after you left Excalibur?

10. What artistic changes would you have done if you could have created the costumes/power effects in your recent return to UXM? Esp Rachel's
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

-- “The Batman stuff and an Batman/Superman story about vampires I believe had been issues that I would remember fondly later…”

I’m not sure what you are recalling but it doesn’t sound like something I drew.

1. Who is your favorite character to draw - x related and non x-related?

I don’t believe in having favourite characters. The important thing is to find something in every character that you like or the process will become a chore. And I should emphasise ‘finding something IN the character’ NOT adding something new.

2. What was your favorite issue or arc - x related and non x-related?

My favourite X-men arc would probably be the Claremont/Byrne Dark Phoenix saga.
Non-X… Too many to choose from.

3. Favorite writter/co-plotter?

Each had their strengths. I learnt the most form Mike W Barr and Chris Claremont.

4. Will you ever work with Paul Neary again? I love Mark's work but also loved Neary inking you.

I haven’t any plans for a full comic but we will probably do more pages like the ones posted on my website.

5. I LOVED YOUR SOLO run on Excalibur. It seems like your departure the 2nd time from Exaclibur was quick and nonanticiapted. Did you intend to leave when you did? If not why did you?

Writing and pencilling a monthly book was hard work, all the harder after the book was put onto a twice-monthly summer schedule which used up all my lead time. I decided to move on as soon as I completed the story arcs I had planned when I first considered writing the book and that is what I did.

6. If you had stayed on Exaclibur what was your future plans for the characters?

I only had very vague notions of using the new characters to take the group in a variety of directions—in Time and space-- But no real specifics.

7. I am reading the old Captain B work and loving it esp how Excalibur tied it together. Any chance you returning to Exaclibur with Claremont?

No plans.

8. Excalibur solo if Claremont went to other projects?

No Plans

9. How do you feel about what happend to Rachel/Phoenix in the 90s after you left Excalibur?

Disappointed.

10. What artistic changes would you have done if you could have created the costumes/power effects in your recent return to UXM? Esp Rachel's

I never gave it any thought. When I was eventually told the line up of the book I was also informed the designs were to be sent to me.
christophe

Re: Questions about your career/ comic runs

Post by christophe »

j1jes wrote:The Batman stuff and an Batman/Superman story about vampires I believe
Maybe Action Comics Annual # 1, but you confuse with Arthur Adams...