Monkey...

Got questions? He's got answers!
Darren Taylor

Monkey...

Post by Darren Taylor »

Sorry, I couldn't refind the thread that this was mentioned in, however I really wanted to add my enthusiasim to this curtain call.

I really enjoyed the series as a kid when it was on. So I got a huge kick from seeing your drawings.

With all the mythilogical and fantasy based Hollywood movies, this would be a good oppertunity for a screen-play or at least to drum up interest in the subject once again.

As much as I hate this trend to "remake-everything-with-CGI" (And I'll concede there were some really funny moments in HHGTG. The originals are invairiably the best). I would not be opposed to seeing this character readdressed.

-Darren
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

There already are a large and varied number of 'Monkey/Monkey King/journey to the west' movies and TV series available. Everything from manga cartoon to authentic Chinese opera. A mixed bag for sure and mostly dross with just a few gems-- undoubtedly the best of which is the 70's Nihon TV series. The special effects might have been tacky but I don't think Hollywood could come close to capturing the balance of spirit and fun.
The most recent incarnation of Monkey I saw was a 2001 US TV series 'the Lost Empire'... truly awful. The westerner goes to China learns magical Kung Fu over night and saves the universe.

Anyone interested in checking out a traditional version of Monkey might be interested in this site...

http://china-on-site.com/monkey.php
Darren Taylor

Post by Darren Taylor »

Alan Davis wrote:The westerner goes to China learns magical Kung Fu over night and saves the universe.

Hahahahahaha...and right there, just about every Jean Claude Van-Damme film I've ever seen-LOL.

Phew...breathe....Thanks Alan.

Thanks for the link Alan.