FF question

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

FF question

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Hello,

I was just wondering if the Fantastic Four are one of your more favored characters in comics since this is your second stint with the characters?

And when working on such venerable comic characters, is it tough to put a new spin on them or do you just try for a good, enjoyable story and see where your stories land in the halls of comics history?

Thanks,

DM Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I have said many times that I don’t have a favourite character (because I like so many and each character or group has strengths and weaknesses) but the Fantastic Four are very special and I feel incredibly lucky to be able to work on them.
I had been offered the regular FF book by Bob Harras, six months before I penciled the three issues with Scott Lobdell, but declined because I didn’t think I could have done justice to the characters at that time. I offered my services on the three issues with Scott simply because I was working on The Nail, which wouldn’t be published until the following year, and thought I should have at least three issues in print a year. But penciling the three FF issues was more fun than I had anticipated and under other circumstances I would have done more-- so, as Mark farmer has kept telling me, ‘… the FF are unfinished business’.

As to a new spin on the FF— well not really. There are certain elements that are almost compulsory in any FF story and ‘The End’ designation demands a certain degree of finality… But I’d like to think there are a few surprises and twists in the story I have written. Whether it is good, enjoyable or noteworthy in the broad sweep of comic history (?) will be decided by readers (and not something I worry about) but for my part I’m having Fantastic Fun (ouch!).

Alan