Meggan? [Uncanny Spoilers]

Got questions? He's got answers!
Texcap

Meggan? [Uncanny Spoilers]

Post by Texcap »

First, hope things are going well with you and yours on that side of the pond!

As for the question, I read the conclusion of the HoM tie-in in UNCANNY X-MEN this week and there I witnessed what appeared to be Meggan's "death" (though, no body) -- and I understand completely if you don't have a comment or don't want to comment -- but I wondered what you thought of the whole situation?

She's an all-time favorite of mine, and I would reckon given your close involvement with the character for so long that you've grown a real attachment to her as well (though forgive any presumptions on my part). And while I hope she's not gone, IF she is, I wanted to at least say "thanks" for creating such a fascinating character and sharing her with us over the year(s). She's alive everytime I read those back issues at the very least (and I read them often).

High hopes that she'll be back, and that you'll get the chance to illustrate her again one day down the road.

Thanks for your time.
Fortiter -- Per Mare Per Terras!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I’m fine thanks… Finished the second issue of FF THE END today and I’m thoroughly enjoying myself.

I had absolutely no involvement in the HoM storyline or Meggan’s appearance in Uncanny. As I have written elsewhere, I was working from one plot to the next on Uncanny and had little or no advanced knowledge of where anything might be heading.
I haven’t read many of the Uncanny issues I drew (can’t bear to look at some of the colouring) and I haven’t seen any of the issues that followed those I drew, so I couldn’t comment on the HoM story.

I’m pleased to hear you like Meggan and although I do have a very specific view of how Meggan should look, act, speak—‘be’ (and I have recoiled in horror at one or two incarnations of Meggan) one of the facts any freelancer must accept is that the creators who inherit their characters and continuity will have their own vision. I’m sure there must be other creators who hate how I handled their characters. Another creator, who was constantly upset by how his creations had been misused and abused, advised me to think of any of the stories I drew with Captain Britain, Meggan, et al, as the real world and everything else as occurring on Earth 2.

I don’t have any plans to revisit Captain Britain or Meggan—although I thought that when I wrote and drew the last UK instalment of CB, ‘Should auld acquaintance…’. So never say never, I suppose.

Alan
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Meggan sure is one of the most beautiful woman in the Marvel Universe. :)
I really liked her interaction with Nightcrawler.
Last time, we were speaking with Dave Cockrum, and he told us Meggan was the girlfriend Kurt Wagner should have been with.

Did you like the idea of the Nightcrawler/Meggan pairing, or were you too happy to have her back in Captain Britain's arms when you came back, writing Excalibur ?
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

No question, Meggan belongs with Brian/Captain Britain.
Nightcrawler was the perfect third to supply romantic tension in a little love triangle but I didn’t think there was any long term potential to the relationship. Nightcrawler works best as a tragic loner. Meggan could and would be everything he needed to live happily ever after—Not good for soap opera continuity.
Brian on the other hand NEEDS Meggan (among many other things, she gives him a perspective on life) and he was prepared to make a commitment, (No X-angst or sack cloth and ashes) Brian bought an Ultra-super king sized circular bed and moved into a remote lighthouse so they could live happily together—Although Merlin had other ideas.

Alan
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Understood, LOL. I suspected that. :wink:

Speaking of Merlyn... he's such an excellent antagonist !
Not really a villain, but not a hero either... Your idea to resurrect him was welcome.
I still wonder if he is the "oiginal" Merlin...

The Merlyn/Necrom/Feron trio was really interesting. As powerful wizards from another era, I wonder how much adventures they must have lived...

That's the problem with your creations, Alan ! It always seems to be there are so much to be told about them !
Kylun, Cerise, Merlyn, Feron, The Destine Family... they're worth a thousand Captain Americas and Hulks !
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
CAIO REIS

Agreed on that!

Post by CAIO REIS »

In one hand, it's really sad that Marvel editors just abandonned all those amazing characters!!! Those were rich stories with unlimited possibilities and concepts to explore and the characteres themselves were so charismatics. We were left with lots of questions about them. I was all like "so?Whats next?" and disappointed when I finished reading Clan Destine and surely would be great to see someone doing something with them again!

But, considering the low quality stories that are being published, I honestly rather see them in ostracism then ending up in unqualified hands of some bad righter and lousy artist that most likely would corrupt the original concepts of the characters and ruin the continuity of Mr. Davis amazing stories. On a second thought, I think they are better of left alone!
JackalsIII

Post by JackalsIII »

Really hoping that Meggan comes back and soon! Can't believe that she would die like that, but I'm sure she's just trap in that dimension thingie.

Alan Davis on on FF: The End is going to be awesome!