Mastering the figure in three dimensions

Got questions? He's got answers!
artbyandrewk

Mastering the figure in three dimensions

Post by artbyandrewk »

Alan,

This is Andrew Knaupp, a long time fan. I once made an airbrushed T-shirt for you of Phoenix, if that rings a bell. Anyway, thanks for making yourself accessible through this board for even a few minutes.

I've bought and read your masterworks book and know that you haven't really had formal art training. You've mentioned that you studied to learn how to draw the figure in 3 dimensions, using some sculptures you made etc. My question is, how else did you learn to master the figure in 3 dimensions? You have an uncanny abilility to draw the figure in many complex and unique angles. The "camera" in your work seems to know no boundaries, yet you maintain the relative builds, heights, and gestures of all the different heros in each panel. Truly amazing.

From someone who's done a lot of life drawing I truly admire this skill and wonder if you have any advice in this regard.

Also, have you ever thought of doing an art instruction book, pass on what you have learned?

Thanks,

Andrew
Robin Riggs
Creator/Esteemed Guest

Re: Mastering the figure in three dimensions

Post by Robin Riggs »

artbyandrewk wrote:Also, have you ever thought of doing an art instruction book, pass on what you have learned?
If he did, Andrew, it would be great as Alan is one of the best people I've met at explaining the "how and why" of what he does. But to be honest, as much as I'd love to see a "how to' book from Alan I'd much rather he spent his time doing what he does best of all by telling more stories in comics.
-- Robin.

See my portfolio online at
http://www.robinriggs.com/Pages/folio/folio.html
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Andrew

Of course I remember you and I still wear the Phoenix shirt you painted at conventions-- and I have refused a number of generous offers from folk who wanted to buy it over the years.

Despite Robin's kind intervention (the cheque is in the post Robin) the reason I wouldn't do a 'how to' book is that I still don't feel I have figured out how to do it myself... At least not as well as I'd like.
Observation is obviously the most crucial factor and in my opinion all of the best comic artists are great cartoonists because cartoons work from the inside out. That is, you draw the movement or expression in its simplest most direct form and then rationalise/refine the image.
I also agree with the principle I first read about in Ernst Gombrich's book 'Art and Illusion'-- that an artist needs to apply three dimensional experience to the visual construction of art. This may sound antiquated in view of current fashion but it works for me.

All the best

Alan