Aquaman

Got questions? He's got answers!
Gordon Somers

Aquaman

Post by Gordon Somers »

Alan,

I've seen in a couple of interviews that you were going to do an Aquaman gig before you got the BATO one. Reading Modern Masters I see that you actually completed a first issue. Any of that still surviving? And how do you consider the quality of it looking back?

Bestest

Gordon Somers
Scotland.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Gordon

I have a number of the Aquaman pencil pages laying around somewhere, some of which have appeared in interviews over the years.

I'm never happy with my old work but, as I intended to ink the Aquaman pencils myself, they are far more basic and incomplete. When I worked on the Aquaman pencils my primary goal was to get them in quickly because I had been told there were concerns about British artists meeting monthly deadlines-- which were considered equally as important, or even moreso, than the quality of the work. I pencilled all twenty two pages in ten days-- and the fact I did turn the pages round so quickly may have been partly responsible for my being offered BATO.

Alan
Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

Thanks for the reply - I dont know of any amateur artist who is satisfied with their work and when I hear professionals with the same insecurities as us, it warms the cockles...

That said, I have seen your "basic" pencils and I must say it still puts others to shame - even at that vintage!!

I'll be honest when I say that the once a month uploads to the web-site ain't enough. I am greedy for more of those gorgeous pencils, that I cant get my fix quick enough!

And I am still kicking myself for not buying the Excalibur pages Mark Farmer was selling at UKCAC circa '92 at £50 a pop!!

Bestest as always

Gordon
Somewhere in Scotland
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Gordon

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement-- but I think a monthly posting will be my limit.

I'm not sure who you saw selling Excalibur pages at UKCAC but it certainly wasn't Mark (As he confirmed himself). Like myself, Mark has always sold his art through an agent. In '92 it may well have been Scott Dunbier.

Alan
Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

Well I'll be honest that I might be mis-remembering - over 10 years ago now!! But there were definitely a few pages on a table that my now wife offered to buy one for me (kick!kick!kick!)

I guess I can wait that month - it wold be easy to spoil everyone too quick wouldn't it. Again, thaks for the reply and I'm eagerly looking forward to your next project.

Kindest regards

Gordon
Somewhere in Scotland