Comics as a medium

Got questions? He's got answers!
CAIO REIS

Comics as a medium

Post by CAIO REIS »

Considering the system's big crisis in the mid 90's, Allan, how do you see the consequences of those events in today's comic industry? You've mentioned before that its furure is still uncertain, but can you visualize some improvement in terms of quality and maturity of the publishings? I mean, for many years now the comics have been marginalized, as Will Eisner used to say, if compared to other mediums or as a literature genre. Do you believe it might have or will achieve, some level of importance to the general public? I know its an odd question, but considering thar you've been sucessfuly working with comics for so long, I wonder if you could give us some insight about this matter!
And of course, I'd appreciate any comment from the other guys too!!! :)
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

This certainly isn’t an odd question, Caio but it is a fairly massive question because the causes of the comic industry implosion have been disputed and interpreted by different groups to serve their own agenda. Moreover, terms like quality and maturity are subjective and misleading—and also ‘spun’ to fit a particular cause. What makes a comic high quality-- Glossy paper and computer colouring or an entertaining story (as opposed to 22 pages of treading water to keep the reader hooked)?
What makes a comic Mature, the degree of graphic violence, sex and obscene language or the intelligence of the story? These are questions the comic buying readership can debate with zealot passion but the greater part of the worlds population doesn’t care either way.
In my experience comics have always been regarded with contempt by the establishment and certainly not considered as literature. More like low brow entertainment for illiterate children.

And I think this view must be pretty widespread, look at how film and TV represent comic readers-- lonely, stupid and grossly overweight (like the comic guy in the Simpsons) AND in a couple of Cop shows I’ve seen in the past few months, they are also potential serial killers.

Recently comic readers have tried to validate the Comic industry by pointing to Hollywood’s interest in the characters-- But then they decry the movies for not being as good as the comics.
Inside the ‘business’ comic companies and creators pander to Hollywood with Matrix/leather costumes, actor likenesses and tedious ‘storyboard’ storytelling. As a working man I want someone to give me vast amounts of money but as a creator I would want my vision of my creations to persist. What future do comics have as a medium when the core values of the medium are being prostituted to gain attention from Hollywood?

I don’t know if mainstream comics will survive long past the current interest in Superhero movies. I certainly can’t think of any solutions to the major problems that confront the business—and neither can people far smarter than I who have the power to make changes.

I’m sorry if this sounds bleak but I’m a realist.

Alan
CAIO REIS

Post by CAIO REIS »

Thanks for enlightening these questions, Mr. Davis. Your honesty and straightness are certainly a reflex of your character. As an aspiring artist, I believe its important to get the opinion of people who work with comics, in relation to certain aspects of the business, and it's really great to know there's an open channel here.