Clan Destine

Got questions? He's got answers!
renfield1969

Clan Destine

Post by renfield1969 »

Why did you leave the original Clan Destine series? I noticed that in the X-Men/Clan Destine one shot you fixed everything that got messed up by the following writer, but what led you to walk in the first place?

-Renfield
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I began work on The ClanDestine a few months before the first big Comic Industry implosion. Marvel UK was the first victim and had been publishing something like 25 titles until literally overnight, they were reduced to publishing one-- The ClanDestine. BUT it wasn't as simple as that because Marvel UK were no longer actually publishing any comics... Marvel US were/did. I wasn't aware of the arrangement until things started to go wrong-- which were euphemistically dismissed as 'falling through the cracks' (that translates into nobody was in charge or taking responsibility). The reality was each division of Marvel assumed the other was promoting the book (etc) but neither did. I soon began to feel I was in limbo and producing work that may never see print. (Many of the other Marvel UK titles that were cancelled had three or more issues completed which have never been published-- and some of them were very good). In a nutshell I lost confidence with the system and quit while I was ahead-- or at least before I lost too much.

Alan
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

It's a shame that Marvel handled things so poorly, i know many who would loved those titles, esp. the Clandestine. Clandestine had such great characters and so much potential.

Jason L.
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
nobleman

Post by nobleman »

Big Fan, Alan!

Curious to know where you planned on taking the Cuckoo sub-plot of why she had less control of her new body. There was also a cryptic comment Albert made to Cuckoo of being able to heal her new body's knife wound but potentially having something that couldn't be healed.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Really long story, as you might imagine, so rather than outline extensive plotlines I’ll list a few of the questions that I considered, in regard of a mind/soul that can transfer itself into other bodies.

1) From the spiritual perspective, how would the departed mind/spirit feel about someone hijacking their body? Could they haunt the squatter? What if the spirit was still connected to the body—able to return, co-habit or even resume control?

2) On a purely biological level, would the mind be shaped by the ‘hardwire configuration’ of synapses in the host brain—adopting aspects of the personality? Especially in regard to other gender... (Kay had lived as woman and man—and animal). What if the host brain had some sort physical defect that caused a psychological problem? Could Kay’s powers be affected? Might she become trapped? Could the flaw be permanently imprinted on Kay’s nomadic psyche?

3) What effect would the compound of so many contradictory personalities have on Kay? A serious multiple personality disorder—And one with a very long and confused history? Presumably the Destine brain’s have superior memories to accommodate their extended life spans—but how would Kay’s memory be affected when she ‘downloads’ into an inferior mind (a gallon into a pint pot)?

4) How would someone who has escaped death so often and views other people as likely hosts (almost like a new costume) react to the danger of physical harm, old age or even a boring relationship?

5) On a darker note. Would Kay become desensitised to other people’s lives/existence? If so, what might she do if she encountered a body she coveted?

There is more but these are the key points I can recall without checking my notes.

Alan
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Woaw. I only can imagine the great stories it would have produced !! :cry:

Something is bothering me, too.
Why did Adam's wife leave him ? Where did she go ? And has she got a name ?
(I sometimes play the Marvel role playing games. Since I wanted to include the Clan Destine in it, I named the djinn "Neïlah". The name came to me just like this, but I doubt it ever existed...)
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Wife? How could Adam have married a Djinn? But you’re not wrong.

She never ‘left’. You might say she is/was visiting her folks.

The Djinn has a name (Sorry, not Neilah) but, in the context of the overall mythology, it would give too much away to reveal it here. The nature of the Djinn was to have been a major mystery at the heart of the long-story.

Alan
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Maybe I'm biased due to being such a huge fan, but I don't see any reason why Marvel wouldn't want/let you produce a ClanDestine miniseries that wraps up some of the loose ends created by the untimely cancelation.

It may even revive interest in an on-going series. Besides a Wonder Woman series by you, I can't think of any other title I'd rather have you on than ClanDestine.

Alan, have you ever suggested, to Marvel, to resurrect the ClanDestine title?

I don't have any figures in front of me, but I'm quite sure your work sells.

Thanks!
Dallas
Row

Post by Row »

Kind of jumping onto what Wonderdallas posted, it's a pity Marvel don't produce a series along the lines of the 'elsewhere' books DC did.

I think it would be the perfect solution to all of us Clan junkies who need another fresh fix of Adam and co. ( big fan of Dom myself, I share the same grumpy nature), and marvel wouldn't have to worry about any continuity issues.

On a sidenote, my fav part of the Clan series was Adam's encounter with the alien invaders, Dom and Walters reaction to the revelation that Adam was responsible for saving earth from the entire alien horde was priceless, it's why I enjoy Alan's writing as much as his artwork.

All the best.

Row.
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Wonderdallas and Row but I think you might have to accept that you/we are in a minority.

As the ClanDestine creator there always a risk I'll sound defensive or bitter if I try to rationalise why the series wasn't more of a success but... When the first issue came out I had a phone call from Scott Lobdell to complain (jokingly-- I think) that although his new 'Generation X' book was a top seller all the Marvel editors would talk about was ClanDestine. Unfortunately all of those editors lost ther jobs in the industry implosion.
When I asked about the possibility of a new series a few years ago I was told '... Heard good things about the book but I never read it-- next subject...'. I have also been told by one or two more vocal critics that the ClanDestine looked 'dated and bland'. I'd like to think this is because the critics just didn't get what I was trying to do.

Another complication would be that the contract I had for ClanDestine with Marvel UK-- in a similar manner what occurred with Captain Britain.

Suffice to say, even if the industry was healthier than it is, it would still be difficult to get anyone 'in power' interested in doing the ClanDestine the way I would want to do it.

Alan
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Alan Davis wrote:. I'd like to think this is because the critics just didn't get what I was trying to do.....

....it would still be difficult to get anyone 'in power' interested.....

Alan
It's a pity that the industry is run by people who don't really understand the "magic" that comics used to have. Thankfully you and a few others still do.

:)
Dallas
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Thanks for your answers, Alan. :D

I guess we'll be left wondering what this djinn could have been...

As a part of the minority here, I also hope to see Clan Destine back one day. Sorry to be such a dreamer ! :? :oops:

"Dated and bland" ?? I'm sorry, but all super heroes in costumes can be seen as "dated and bland".
Your title is still modern and passionating. It's a story about a very old family. It's rich and exciting.

Perhap's you should ask Joe Q. or the editors again. An again. And again. Until they give up in tears and let you write the sequel. :wink:
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
Row

Post by Row »

Cheers for the answers, Alan.

It a real shame that a gem like the ClanDestine was allowed to slip through the cracks, but I'm glad we got an all but brief glimpse of them, and as you've said before, 'never say never'.

Now, I'm going to shoot myself in the foot and end any hope of ever working for one of the big companies in the future. ( I can dream)

I'm a comic fan, plain and simple, regardless of who's on a book, if I like it, I'll buy it.. if not, you can guess the rest.

All the major companies pump out an awful lot of crap that should never see the light of day, let alone make it to the stands.
It's so annoying that all the big companies are busy trying to hire big name 'superstars' from outside the industry ( Stephen King and bloody 50cents!!!!!) to try and shift a few more books or pull in new readers, as it's been stated by many people... the moneymen decide what stays and what goes. For my money, I stick with who I like, both artists and writers who do great stories and great art

How many of these new readers will stick around or even think to pick up any of their other titles, marketing tricks and gimmicks don't work in the long run, but from what I've heard they don't look that far down the road.
If they want to pull in new readers, great, more the better, but they should do it with great books and not the lastest trend ( just look at how the anime style of stuff is starting to die on it's arse).

Look at the indie market and see great stuff that sells well without such gimmicks, now imagine what a big company could do with such a title.

As for Joe Q, he should get down on bended knee and re-hire all the editors that lost their jobs, they made comics the way they should be made and why they were made........ FUN..... they knew their stuff.

Right, I'll wipe away the salver from the corners of my mouth and put my soapbox back in the cupboard. I apologize if I've offended anyone with my ranting, and I promise no animals were harmed during the making of this rant.

All the best.

Row
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

I am always bugging JoeQ (at his board) to bring ClanDestine back. :)
~Matt
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Dallas, while I’d LIKE to think the state of the industry could be blamed on a few individuals who “don’t understand the magic”, and from my perspective there are those who have an extremely limited and blinkered view of comics (I once dealt with an assistant editor on Spiderman who didn’t know who Gil Kane was) the problems facing the industry are far more complex. In recent years I have made myself unpopular with some editors by sticking to the values I believe are essential to good comics but the bottom line is that what constitutes ‘the magic’ of comics is different for each generation.

Row, there are many of the new editors I would love to see back in their paper hats flipping burgers (along with a few colourists) BUT, the crisis comics face existed before most of the current editors entered the industry-- while there are editors (and management) who left the industry during the implosion that did contribute to comics decline. Sadly, the hype and mythology of defending reputations prevents any honest assessment.
Although there are a number of culprits, the case I have heard used most often to illustrate how the publishers hurt the industry is the sales on X-Men 1, supposedly almost 8 million, BUT these sales were to dealers NOT readers. I know for a fact that in just three comic stores in the UK, there were literally thousands of issues of that one title unsold. We can only speculate on the total unsold across the world or, far more importantly, of how many comic shops went out of business because they couldn’t afford to foot the bill of this (and other) so called industry successes—but, crucially, it was the loss of those sales points that has contributed to the need for gimmicks in the attempt to attract a new audience.

Matt, I don’t know Joe Quesada, I’ve met him four or five times, spoken briefly twice and exchanged a few e-mails but I get the impression that we have very different tastes. I’ll happily admit that I’m a comics traditionalist, in fact I’m sure a lot of people are tired of hearing me preach about the necessity of craft, and I’m well aware that my inflexibility could limit my future employability. My only hope is that as fashions and trends change they will inevitably come full circle. Maybe!

Alan