THOR: THE TRUTH OF THE HISTORY

Got questions? He's got answers!
Erk Lazer

Re: THOR: THE TRUTH OF THE HISTORY

Post by Erk Lazer »

That's your first post?[/quote]

Oh, the "you hit a nerve so I will trash your first post cause I'm stupid but I want you to look stupid" defence...
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Erk Lazer wrote:That's your first post?
Oh, the "you hit a nerve so I will trash your first post cause I'm stupid but I want you to look stupid" defence...
Ah, very original. Anyway, what exactly am I defending? No nerves were hit and I didn't trash anything (you did, actually; twice). I was just openly wondering that that would be your first post. Calling people out for posting on a message board.
mrshortt1977

Post by mrshortt1977 »

Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge......?
Paul Renaud

Post by Paul Renaud »

Hello there,

This is my first post on the message board.
I just finished reading the Thor one shot, and really loved it. I think Alan, like many writers I love, has a feel to make stories that every one can get...from the expert marvelite to the random new comer.
I used to read a lot of Marvel books, and for a long time I was pretty much aware of all the major things happening in that universe (or maybe the writers knew how to make stories that didn't require 3 years of backstory research)...but of course it became more complicated with the years and all the alternate futures, paralell dimensions, and monthly events.
I love how Alan can give you a sense of history in the Marvel universe without going deeply into the unecessary details. He just gives me all I need to know, and takes me for a ride.
When you pick a Davis book, you're sure to be well treated :)

Paul
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for the kind words, Paul. I aim to write stories that have the broadest possible appeal but obviously you can’t please all of the people all of the time—And some never at all.

One of the things I must address in this tread before signing off-- because this forum carries my name and, on occasion, if I don’t challenge or contradict a point it’s accepted that I somehow agree with the opinions expressed here. In this instance the petty side-swipes at Dan Didio.
Almost every EiC has at some point gained a reputation for being anything from difficult to tyrannical.
I can’t say I know Dan Didio, I’ve only ever spoken to him a couple of times in regard to the Green Lantern relaunch some years ago. Then editor Peter Tomasi had asked me to write and draw the GL books and I was offered a contract to do so. I have never accepted a contract until knowing exactly what I’m signing on for so I suggested that I write a proposal to gauge if Peter and I were on the same page. Peter had asked me to come up with a radical proposal, I did and Peter liked it but Dan Didio thought it was TOO radical. I accepted Dan’s judgement and moved on. One of the things any creator needs to learn is that editorial hires creators to fulfil a brief not to indulge their own whims. (It is possible to gain a tremendous amount of freedom within the demands of the ‘system’ but the company owns the characters.) Anyway, the point here is that despite the fact I had produced the proposal for my own reasons and without any expectation of payment from DC, Dan first offered me the opportunity to produce the proposal as an Elseworld miniseries then, when I declined that offer, paid me very well for the time it took for me to produce the proposal. In my opinion, you can’t say fairer than that.

Alan
PEDRO ANGOSTO

Post by PEDRO ANGOSTO »

Well, Alan, glad to know that Didio is such a gentleman.

Now, if you ask me, what I want from the EIC at DC is to keep Alan Davis (or Pacheco, who just left) at DC.

Even more when the current artists on JLA, JSA, T Titans, Titans, Legion and Outsiders are... far from setting the world on fire with his work.

That's what I consider being smart and doing his job.

I even bet that in your proposal, Hal Jordan wasn't possesed by an evil entity who gave him white temples...

Anyway, I was talking about his work concerning continuity or his vision of a shared reality (which keeps changing every 13 pages or so...). Not about if he pays or not his authors.
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

:?: .... :?:
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Looks like this topic got waay off topic...

So, while we're at it:

Paul Renaud, are you THE Paul Renaud, smashin' new-comer that drew those Cave-Woman Jungle Jam art-issues?? :shock: If so, way cool! You've got a GLORIOUS future ahead of you, if you keep that up. :D
Paul Renaud

Post by Paul Renaud »

Predabot wrote:Looks like this topic got waay off topic...

So, while we're at it:

Paul Renaud, are you THE Paul Renaud, smashin' new-comer that drew those Cave-Woman Jungle Jam art-issues?? :shock: If so, way cool! You've got a GLORIOUS future ahead of you, if you keep that up. :D
Thanks!
I've been reading the messages here for a while as I'm a huge fan of mister Davis. I'm always interested in reading his comments and news about his work.
Best wishes,

Paul