Question about Meggan

Got questions? He's got answers!
Paulo Pereira

Question about Meggan

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Hi Alan,

I thought I remembered reading that your solely created the Meggan character. However, Wikipedia lists Alan Moore as a co-creator. I know that means nothing but I was just hoping for some clarification on the matter.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Paulo

I do indeed claim sole creatorship of the character familiar to Excalibur readers although it is technically correct that Alan and I co-created a character called Meggan BUT she was a throwaway character who appeared in a single CB episode entitled ‘The candlelight dialogues’ and there was never any plan to use her beyond that one ‘shock value’ appearance.
When Alan quit writing Captain Britain he tied up all of the narrative loose ends and I was faced with writing Captain Britain from a cold start. I had plotted the whole CB romance with a new-female shape-shifting character when I had the idea of linking back to the original continuity by having my new-female evolve from the ‘Canglelight Dialogue’ Meggan.
In the grand scheme of things the fact I created a potential dispute for myself isn’t important. There are those who credit Alan Moore with creating everything he ever worked on and ignoring the contribution by earlier creators (or co-creators in some instances). This, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I find most infuriating with the early episodes of Captain Britain, written by Paul Neary and Dave Thorpe which introduced, Saturnyne, the Multiverse governing body, Merlyn, Roma and the Captain Britain Corp.
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Thanks, Alan. I appreciate the detailed response.