A question for Mr. Davis about Kurt in the revealing....

Got questions? He's got answers!
neling4

A question for Mr. Davis about Kurt in the revealing....

Post by neling4 »

...red dress from Excalibur #15.

Mr. Davis,

If it isn't too late, could you please include an explanation of that red dress Kurt was wearing in Excalibur #15 in your ClanDestine series? That red dress and curly yellow wig have boggled my mind for years.

Thank you.
Last edited by neling4 on Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I’m afraid your mind will have to remain boggled.
Chris and I were basically topping each other on that issue. He asked for the team to be chased by Indians and I threw in a lot of weird stuff just to suggest something more interesting than a chase had occurred. This is also true for the ‘Munster’ castle with green flamingo and CB duck, and the Carmen Miranda Kitty and Kapitain Russkie. It was a lot of fun working ‘the Marvel way’ with Chris’ stream of consciousness plots that nailed a story and characters while allowing all sorts of background freedom for an artist to throw their ideas into the mix.

Alan
neling4

Post by neling4 »

I would still love to see that story written someday. I really enjoyed the Excalibur series, particularly the issues on which you and Mr. Claremont collaborated, and the issues you wrote.

Thank you for the answer Mr. Davis.
Last edited by neling4 on Mon May 24, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Nancy, It may be possible to come up with a story incorporating the bizarre western hook but I doubt it would meet anyone’s (certainly not everyone’s) expectation.
Setting up a story is easy compared to finding a satisfactory conclusion. The whole soap-opera form relies on unresolved plots and cliff-hangers to keep the audience hooked-- AND maintaining the possibility of a wide variety of endings allows for a wider audience with each viewer/reader hoping their resolution-ary needs will be satisfied.
Comic writers, like any other, hate writing conclusions to stories. That’s how I was roped into writing a resolution to the Joseph/Magneto and Twelve storylines (and earlier in Excalibur, a rational to the Rachel/Phoenix storyline). No-one else wanted to touch it. I don’t regret doing it. I enjoy the challenge. My only dissatisfaction was not being allowed to reveal Joseph as a Skrull infiltrator. I was told the ‘X-readers’ would never buy into a Skrull war!!

Alan
j1jes

Post by j1jes »

New writers treding in on previous writers plots and ideas that had not been allowed to go on imagine that.

The whole Skrull war idea had me flashing back to stories to both you and Claremont and going -"God, I can't believe this"
neling4

Post by neling4 »

Alan Davis wrote:I was told the ‘X-readers’ would never buy into a Skrull war!!

Alan
That's funny, and a very interesting insight into the workings of the comic book industry. Thank you.