Current ClanDestine series and Cross-Time Chronology

Got questions? He's got answers!
ChastMastr

Current ClanDestine series and Cross-Time Chronology

Post by ChastMastr »

Hello! I have a silly question but I really would love to know -- in the latest ClanDestine, when Dominic meets Excalibur, apparently his being from 2008 means they are from different Earths. While I can come up with ideas as to why this could be myself (I've got this mad scheme for comics continuities which I don't expect anyone else to follow), I really want to know -- are they really from another Earth than Dominic's? My understanding of this second series was that it took place in the past, shortly after the last series, or at least shortly after the X-Men team-up. (Which is fine by me, as it completely dodges the grimness of the Marvel Universe over the last few years that way.) Is it still 1989 or so on the Earth they come from? Or is there some confusion and is it really that they're just from the same Earth but different times? For that matter, is it the same Excalibur that we read about back in the day -- perhaps it's an Excalibur from another Earth having their own Cross-Time Caper?

Help?

Confusedly,

David
Current mood: Glad Marvel has vastly improved
j1jes

Post by j1jes »

There is only one Rachel Phoenix - that was highly emphasised in Excalibur and UXM as the Phoenix Force is a unique entity to the multiverse ---so conclusion --they met out Exacalibur

It seemed to me that it was an accident with the portal that send him thru space-time and into the "past" on Exaclibur's train which was doing the same traveling
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

So does that mean they're from the same Earth, they just don't think they are because of the 2008 reference? :?:

Heh, if the Excalibur here is from 1989 or so, then to me it's still "my" Excalibur. I don't want them to be the one whose future leads to Civil War and House of M and End of Greys -- I want their future to be adventurous, happily-ever-after, and non-depressing... heck, if Alan could do an Excalibur spinning out of his original vision, in its own Marvel continuity that he'd be in charge of (like the way Tom DeFalco can do whatever he likes with MC-2 and Spider-Girl), I'd be an extremely happy camper. No needless depressing crossovers, etc. ClanDestine could even be part of the same world, a fun AlanDavisVerse... *happy sigh*

David
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

ChastMastr wrote:

I'd be an extremely happy camper. No needless depressing crossovers, etc. ClanDestine could even be part of the same world, a fun AlanDavisVerse... *happy sigh*

David

That might make me the happiest man alive. The
MU according to Alan.

genius

-d
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

I would be thrilled as well, though I'm still in the dark about my original question... :?:
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

I think the year doesn't matter due to Marvel time, it's more that Kitty's "pop quiz" as Dom calls it doesn't' work this time because she doesn't take into account that Dom is a rather unique individual, very longlived - hence his knowing Churchill personally - and a hermit for the past years - hence his lack of knowledge about pop culture (Madonna). As Kitty doesn't know this about Dom she just logically makes the assumption he's from another world.
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

Ah, so they are from the same Earth then?

I just want to make sure -- although if this will be revealed more in the series then I understand that. Hoping for confirmation from our esteemed author... :)

(Myself, I'd still be pleased -- and have posted elsewhere about my mad comics-sorting scheme, in which the comics of the 1990s lead to the MC-2 era, with no Civil War or Decimation to taint them, the comics of the early 2000s lead to X-Men: The End, the comics of the mid-1970s lead up to Deathlok and Killraven and the Guardians of the Galaxy, etc., so for me I'm perfectly happy to see our beloved Excalibur as living in the MU of the late 1980s or so, with a wholly different (and happier) future than the present MU has...)

David
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

Still wondering... anyone know for sure?

I was thinking, I know of a way that Alan's cool stuff could be taking place on a happier Earth than current 616, all the older stuff could fit there nicely and he could do current stuff in a more lighthearted continuity than 616 has become...

... and there are no X-titles there right now... :!:

The MC-2 universe is much more like classic Marvel and I think it would be a match made in heaven. It pretty much shares the continuity of the 616 world (as it was established at the time, not what's been retconned in since then, which is a pretty important difference -- no hint of the Illuminati, or Xavier hiding a third Summers brother or any of the really depressing backstory stuff which has been shoehorned in over the last few years) up till maybe the late 1990s and then goes off in its own, more positive direction. [This means that all of his Excalibur, ClanDestine, etc. stuff is part of that continuity already -- as well as various miniseries and annuals and the like from the 1980s and 1990s.] While not loved by everyone, mutants are no longer feared and hated the way they have been in 616, because the X-Men made some kind of (unspecified) sacrifice to save the world one last time in the past, though who survived and who didn't has never (?) been made clear, and of course anyone could have just been blasted into another dimension or such... ;)

Peter and MJ are still together, as are Johnny Storm and Lyja. Even Wolverine got a happy ending, marrying Elektra and having a daughter. (There's something really rather nice about that. The poor guy deserves a happy ending...) This could be a very cool place for Alan to set up shop... and of course he could, in theory, bring back any of the Excalibur gang he wanted to, possibly even (if they were off in another dimension or such) at the same ages or a little older. No need to deal with Civil War, Decimation, or any of that stuff. And of course there'd be a built-in audience both from the MC-2 fan crowd and all of us Davis fans and fans of lighthearted, classic heroics in general. If I were the members of Clan Destine I know which world I'd want Rory and Pandora to grow up in... and so much of it is unexplored territory which could be developed in ways which us classic fans would enjoy more than what much of Marvel has become...

David
j1jes

Post by j1jes »

THe final issue clears it up and yes they are from our earth.

This was cleared up also as there is ONLY 1 Rachel Summers that has Pheonix powers in the multiverse
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

Still waiting for my copy to come in the mail, but which Earth is "ours" in this context? ("My" Earth is certainly not the joyless and miserable one with the Skrull invasion, Civil War, Decimation, One More Day, etc. not to mention wildly out of character stuff which has been shoehorned into various characters' pasts, like Illuminati; "my" Earth is much more the bright, fun and heroic one of classic Excalibur, etc. which I simply cannot treat seriously, whatever Marvel may say by editorial fiat, as being the same Earth as the current mainstream at all. But of course these are works of fiction by countless writers, rather than reality, so we can arrange things as we like -- which is fine by me, and means that even if Marvel decides next week that Kurt and Kitty and Rachel have always been Skrull robot-clones built by Mephisto, or something even more ludicrous, those original stories will still stand as written, inviolate, just as (or perhaps much more in my eyes) "valid" as whatever retcon comes down the pike...)

David
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Ruth’s analysis is correct. Phoenix's uniqueness made it impossible to deceive any Marvelite so I went for character rather than mystery, I had a few conflicting thoughts about including an actual date, because its usually best to avoid specifics but the different temporal motion between planes is something I have exploited in the past and touched upon in this story so it seemed too obvious a question for Kitty not to ask.

Alan
ChastMastr

Post by ChastMastr »

Aha! Thank you, Alan! :)

David
PS: I still would love to see you work over in MC-2; it really would allow for development of the kind of classic adventurous fun stuff you do, and since especially the X-characters' fates there have been largely vague or undefined, you might have so much more of a free hand than "616" allows for, regarding "whatever happened to" the members of Excalibur or all manner of other X-folks.

I posted my thoughts on this over on Tom DeFalco's MC-2 (Spider-Girl) board (he posts there a lot!) and he seemed quite intrigued by the idea, and said he loves your work! So I hope it might just happen someday...

David
Enda80

Re: Current ClanDestine series and Cross-Time Chronology

Post by Enda80 »

"There is only one Rachel Phoenix - that was highly emphasised in Excalibur and UXM as the Phoenix Force is a unique entity to the multiverse ---so conclusion --they met out Exacalibur "

Problem; somebody once wrote in to point out that numerous counterparts of Rachel Summers have appeared in What If stories. Around #73 of Excalibur, the editor responded to this letter to the effect that What If stories just represent simulations the Watcher runs in his computer (pace the device the Guardians of the Universe used in Green Lantern II#59, Carter Nichols' device in Batman#127, and the Super-Univac). However, Quasar#6 and Quasar#30 show this does not represent the truth, as the Living Laser and Quasar visit some of the What If worlds. In fact, Quasar#30 has Quasar visit an alternate Earth where a counterpart of Rachel Summers died fighting Set. Uatu views alternate Earths that already exist, he does not view simulations on a computer monitor.