Adam, Albert, and an Omegan Questions

Got questions? He's got answers!
Ann Nichols

Adam, Albert, and an Omegan Questions

Post by Ann Nichols »

Dear Mr. Davis,

The Knights Templar were founded 48 years before Adam was born, so it would not surprise me to learn that he knew some of them. If so, what did he think when he learned about the way Philip the Fair treated the French Knights Templar in 1307?

As for Albert, 1374 was well after the 1347-1350 sweep of the Plague through Europe. I'm not sure what "still a very young man" means to the Destines, but he should be in his 30s or 40s during the opening flashback. If his healing power manifested at puberty and coincided with the Black Death, it's understandable why he might still be suffering 24 years later. Is my guess correct?

Is the Omegan woman who tells Alpha that there are two new contacts on page 8 the same Raee who spoke on page 16?

It was interesting to find out that the Geong Si are part of real-life Chinese mythology, so thank you for using that myth.

However, I'm afraid I cannot thank you for leaving Walter, the best piece of Clan Destine male eye candy next to his father, in his Wallop form.

Rory's declaration that it was the 21st century was a "Say, what???" moment at first, then it came as a surprise to realize that enough years have passed in the 21st century for the Marvel sliding timescale to bring the clan out of the 20th century.

The cover to #2 and, as another fan mentioned somewhere, Adam's lack of pain after Thaddeus went over that cliff, suggests something most unpleasant. I await further developments.

Ann Nichols (who offers her apology for the rather pompous tone -- it tends to come out when she feels awkward, probably because she grew up on Victorian and Edwardian books)
Last edited by Ann Nichols on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Can't afford the first ClanDestine series at present (drat!) so I've been dependent upon Internet biographies. In the narrative flashback about when Adam was captured by the followers of Al Kadhdhaab, is Al Kadhdhaab a character you made up or are Adam's captors followers of the 7th century Second Caliph, "Umar ibn al-Khattab"?
Al Kadhadhaab is a made up character. The name ( Arabic phrase) Al Kadhadhaab translates as The Liar. Sujanaa Min Raghbah (the wizards name) roughly translates as Prisoner of Desire (I hope).
The Knights Templar were founded 48 years before Adam was born, so it would not surprise me to learn that he knew some of them. If so, what did he think when he learned about the way Philip the Fair treated the French Knights Templar in 1307?
Being there in person he would know the truth and would ignore all the ridiculous conspiracy theories that currently abound.

As for Albert, 1374 was well after the 1347-1350 sweep of the Plague through Europe. I'm not sure what "still a very young man" means to the Destines, but he should be in his 30s or 40s during the opening flashback. If his healing power manifested at puberty and coincided with the Black Death, it's understandable why he might still be suffering 24 years later. Is my guess correct?
Albert is 41 at the start of issue 2 (relatively speaking. I have mentioned elsewhere that a Destine’s date of birth/age is not exactly a fixed point.)
1347-1350 really only saw the first wave of the Black Death (a term that was actually phrased centuries later) but the plague, pestilence, (it had a lot of different names) returned on a fairly regular basis, almost every decade from 1361 until the middle of the fifteenth century. While subsequent outbreaks may not have claimed as many casualties as the 1347-50 plague the death toll was a significant percentage of the European population—and would have been far higher if Albert had not been willing to sacrifice his own health:)

Is the Omegan woman who tells Alpha that there are two new contacts on page 8 the same Raee who spoke on page 16?
Yes. There are five Omegans named-- Noe, Raee, Mai, Phaa and Giee. I based the names on an eastern variation (five tone) of the familiar Musical scale (seven tone) doh, ray, me, fah, soh, lah and te.
Fourteen years ago, when I did all of the research for the Clandestine, I used a reference library, with actual books, and the only record I have of the scale is a handwritten note. I believe my note to be accurate but I haven’t been able to discover any information that matches my list, of the eastern tonal progression, in any online search. I’d be interested in any information that might point me in the right direction.

Alan
Ann Nichols

Post by Ann Nichols »

Thank you very much, Mr. Davis.

I wasn't even thinking about conspiracy theories about the Knights Templar. (Conspiracy theories tend to make me roll my eyes, which is why Mr. David's X-Cell members assuming that the US government was behind M-Day in "X-Factor" had me laughing, especially their leader's explanation.) I was just wondering how someone who had personally known the order when it was highly honored and respected would have felt about the French branch being tortured and dishonored centuries later.

It is extremely annoying that the mention of Asian pentatonic scales that I managed to locate insisted on explaining them using the Western names for the notes. I just asked over at All Experts. They were very helpful when I tried to find out what the naughty pun in "To His Coy Mistress" was. (One of my reference books mentioned there was such a pun but didn't explain it.) I hope to get a useful reply.

By the way, given the opposites that "satyr" and "nun" imply, Satyr-Nun's name tickles me.

Happy Easter!

Ann Nichols
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Adam was never a Knight Templar, Ann-- and he was elsewhere when the order was exterminated for the profit of Phillip the Fair. Thaddeus was a Knight but was expelled by the Templar’s long before their demise.
It is extremely annoying that the mention of Asian pentatonic scales that I managed to locate insisted on explaining them using the Western names for the notes.
I encountered the same problem and had wondered if the spelling of the names I used for the Omegans were some form of phonetic translation that had been eroded with linguistic evolution. Like Peking— Bejing.
By the way, given the opposites that "satyr" and "nun" imply, Satyr-Nun's name tickles me.
I was looking for an alternate reality corruption of the Saturnyne name-- like Sat Yr 9. When I saw the Satyr- Nun possibility, it was so perfect for the scenario I had planned that I actually checked to ensure I hadn’t read it elsewhere.