Are These Pages Yours?

Got questions? He's got answers!
Ibrahim Amin

Are These Pages Yours?

Post by Ibrahim Amin »

I was recently scammed by a guy named Josh Hoopes. He's been presenting himself as a comicbook artist, and I hired him to draw some pages from my graphic novel script. However, it turns out that he has been hiring real artists, defaulting on his payments to them, then passing their work on to his customers as if it was his own.

I received three penciled pages from him before I found out that he was a scammer and refused to work with him any longer. Since then I have been trying to locate the real artist. I posted the pages on ComicBookResources, as well as a few other places, in the hope that some of the members might recognise them as their own, or at least be able to place the style.

One of the members there brought up your name, so I figured that I would contact you to ask if they were indeed yours. This seems unlikely, since your FAQ states that you rarely do commissions. And given your high profile, it would be a pretty audacious theft on the scammer's part. But I need to follow up the leads I get given, if I ever want to find the real artist.

Thank you.

Row

Post by Row »

I'd read about this scam on Digital Webbing.

It might be an idea to post the pages there, someone might know who did them.

All the best.

Roland
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Ibrahim Amin

Post by Ibrahim Amin »

I've already posted those pages on Digital Webbing, along with the pencil, ink, and colour samples he used to convince me to hire him.

But although the members there have been very helpful, and have managed to trace the origins of those samples, we've not found the guy who drew the pages from my script yet.
MiG

Post by MiG »

I'd be very surprised if these pages came from Mr Davis. The pencil strokes, shading and layout doesn't look like his work.

Hope you find the one who actually made them though. Bloody rotten and disrespectful thing to do, scamming like this.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Commissions are usually limited to a sketch or single page. I have never worked with an agent or for small independent publishers. And, I must say that whoever identified these pages as my work can’t be familiar with my work.
The pencils are reminiscent of a few mainstream artist but the penciller in question may be influenced by the artists I’m thinking of or even swiping their work. I’d have to assume the artist involved is inexperienced or desperate, to have fallen for the scam.

I’m sorry I can’t be of more help.

Alan
Ibrahim Amin

Post by Ibrahim Amin »

Thank you for letting me know.