Various Clan Destine questions.

Got questions? He's got answers!
wonderdallas

Various Clan Destine questions.

Post by wonderdallas »

Hi Alan, I really enjoy hearing your insight concerning the characters you've created and/or worked on.....so, here's few concerning the Clan D.

We've seen that Pandora cannot fly without Rory. So, when together, is she actually controling her flight path or does Rory? Does she fly or is she being carried?

Kay/Jasmine is obviously selfish and morally challenged BUT she seems to be one of the few family members who's stuck around. She's obviously been some part of the twin's life. Any insights on her motivation? I just find her to be so fascinating!

Kay provided telekentic propulsion when Sam created gliding wings. I don't recall any other obvious uses of her tk powers. How limited/powerful to you see her tk? Honestly, I like heroes with limits....it makes them more interesting if they have to be clever. Like the time in Excalibur when Kitty was disguised as a guard and walked on air to appear taller....awesome! That's more smarts than power.

Do/could the siblings age at different rates? Could Gracie be two hundred years older than Albert yet appear younger? Kay and Adam have good excuses.

Dom, as a character, has a similar "feel" as your take on Nightcrawler and he has a design that is Creeper-esque. Were those characters a conscious influence or just by chance? Does Dom's cape serve any purpose? Do the "leaves" muffle sound....helping keep him sane, or are they just fabulous to be fabulous. :)

And, is it HEX or VEX? We've seen both in print..... did he use both?

More to come I'm sure.

Thanks!
Dallas
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Dallas
We've seen that Pandora cannot fly without Rory. So, when together, is she actually controling her flight path or does Rory? Does she fly or is she being carried?
Rory does carry Pandora but they are two sides of one equation.
Kay/Jasmine is obviously selfish and morally challenged BUT she seems to be one of the few family members who's stuck around. She's obviously been some part of the twin's life. Any insights on her motivation? I just find her to be so fascinating!
Kay is a very complex and contradictory person. Her morality is from another age and perspective. There are a number of revelations about Kay in the new five part series.
Kay provided telekentic propulsion when Sam created gliding wings. I don't recall any other obvious uses of her tk powers. How limited/powerful to you see her tk? Honestly, I like heroes with limits....it makes them more interesting if they have to be clever. Like the time in Excalibur when Kitty was disguised as a guard and walked on air to appear taller....awesome! That's more smarts than power.
Kay is extremely powerful when she is ‘in full health’. In addition to her Psychic abilities she has mastered the occult arts—not to the level of Doctor Strange but enough to be scary. Over the centuries she has learned how to get what she wants with the minimum of effort.
Do/could the siblings age at different rates? Could Gracie be two hundred years older than Albert yet appear younger? Kay and Adam have good excuses.
The Destine’s age at roughly the same rate but none have died natural deaths so the true extent of their lifespan has never been tested. Albert is 179 years older than Gracie but he has also had a much harder life which has taken its toll.
Dom, as a character, has a similar "feel" as your take on Nightcrawler and he has a design that is Creeper-esque. Were those characters a conscious influence or just by chance? Does Dom's cape serve any purpose? Do the "leaves" muffle sound....helping keep him sane, or are they just fabulous to be fabulous.
Dom is most definitely based on Ditko designs in general and the Creeper in particular. If you look at the sketches on my website you’ll see how I tried to incorporate elements of Kraven, Nightmare and the Vulture.
I had all of the ClanDestine characters mapped out but I knew the notion of designing any sort of original costumes was impossible with the proliferation of ‘new’ characters during the ‘comic boom’. I decided to build on the essential theme of ‘heroes through the ages’ by designing each costume to represent an era of ‘superheroes’. The Crimson Crusader and Imp are the classic 50's child heroes (like Superboy, Robin or the LSH), all innocence and optimism. Wallop is the cliché/classic man monster— with a bias towards ‘Mahakala’. Vex is of course the 60's, pure Ditko. Cuckoo represents the 70-80's in a 'none-costume costume' and Argent has that 80-90's organically changing costume.

Dom designed his costume to confuse his audience when he performed as HEX—he actually can’t bear to look at the costume himself.
And, is it HEX or VEX? We've seen both in print..... did he use both?
Dom did perform as HEX but the twins were to have corrupted that to VEX because of Dom’s easy irritability and quick temper. I say ‘were to have corrupted’ because its one of the instances where my notes on future developments were used in promotions (as occurred with Thaddeus) prior to the introduction or explanation in continuity.

Alan
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

I know it's probably too obvious but I'd still love to see a Wallop/Hulk battle.
Argent has that 80-90's organically changing costume.
Interesting. Can you name any examples? I've always considered Argent the most original of the Clan, power-wise.