Do you have any more Captain Britain stories left to tell?

Got questions? He's got answers!
bignige

Do you have any more Captain Britain stories left to tell?

Post by bignige »

Having grown up reading Captain Britain, and now in my middle thirties I'm just wondering if you'll ever revisit him?
I liked Excalibur, and enjoy his various cameos (Xmen and upcoming Clandestine) but, it's just not the same! Have you told all you want to? I'm sure talk of a series must've cropped up many times? I'm curious as to why its never happened. Will it ever happen?!!!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I thought I had finished with Captain Britain when I wrote the episode ‘Should auld acquaintance…’.

There has been talk but nothing that would entice me to go back. I’d want to return to the version I co-created and that just doesn’t seem to be popular.
bignige

Post by bignige »

Alan Davis wrote:I thought I had finished with Captain Britain when I wrote the episode ‘Should auld acquaintance…’.

There has been talk but nothing that would entice me to go back. I’d want to return to the version I co-created and that just doesn’t seem to be popular.
It's the only version as far as I'm concerned. Some of the best stories and art ever produced in comics, and only one of a few times Marvel UK wasn't the poor relative! I've never read any other version and really wouldn't want to. I've seen Captain Britain drawn by others and it's amazing how nobody but you can do it...
j1jes

Post by j1jes »

I am not as familiar with the Capt B pre Exaclibur, it's tough to get ahold of those comics locally, just ordered some online though!!

Is the Capt B you wrote in Exaclibur's last run by you close to what you re talking about?

Or do you mean the stories/plots themselves.
bignige

Post by bignige »

j1jes wrote:I am not as familiar with the Capt B pre Exaclibur, it's tough to get ahold of those comics locally, just ordered some online though!!

Is the Capt B you wrote in Exaclibur's last run by you close to what you re talking about?

Or do you mean the stories/plots themselves.
You won't regret buying them, a pure joy to read.
These have been collected for the US market in the form of 2 trade paperbacks and Xmen archives. The only downside being they chose to colour them instead of leaving them as B+W inks. Alan, I can't believe stories like those wouldn't sell. I can understand Captain Britain being a difficult proposition though.
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

[/quote]It's the only version as far as I'm concerned. Some of the best stories and art ever produced in comics, and only one of a few times Marvel UK wasn't the poor relative! I've never read any other version and really wouldn't want to. I've seen Captain Britain drawn by others and it's amazing how nobody but you can do it...[/quote]

You don't want to - believe me. The only version that matters is Alan's...well, Claremont had a pretty good handle on him too.
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
bignige

Post by bignige »

Dear god noooo! Please make it stop....!!
http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8698
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

The reality of the comics business is that someone is going to continue, revise, rehash or swipe from the comics that have gone before. I’m always conscious of the creators I may have offended with my off-hand interpretation of their characters but, unless you are of the mind that only Bob Kane should ever have drawn Batman, all anyone can do is to acknowledge the heritage.
To be fair Marvel offered me the assignment to draw the covers for this new CB series but my association with Captain Britain always makes me wary about diminishing what has gone before.

Alan
Paulo Pereira

Not to derail this thread but...

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Of course, if Bob Kane had been solely responsible for Batman's look, he probably would have been a completely different animal, based on quotes by Bill Finger (the unheralded contributor to Batman's look) and Kane himself.
bignige

Post by bignige »

Alan Davis wrote:

The reality of the comics business is that someone is going to continue, revise, rehash or swipe from the comics that have gone before. I’m always conscious of the creators I may have offended with my off-hand interpretation of their characters but, unless you are of the mind that only Bob Kane should ever have drawn Batman, all anyone can do is to acknowledge the heritage.
To be fair Marvel offered me the assignment to draw the covers for this new CB series but my association with Captain Britain always makes me wary about diminishing what has gone before.

Alan
I agree completely, it's just sometimes an artist manages to do 'the definitive' version making it difficult for other to come close. John Byrne did it with Alpha Flight, Frank Miller did it with Elektra etc.
After writing my previous post, it occurred to me I have read another Captain Britain story - The Knights of Pendragon. It was your covers that attracted me to it, but I stayed for the story and Gary Erskines art. Both of which I enjoyed a great deal.
I think I'm just having withdrawal symptons, there's only so many times I can reread my black and whites...