Cuckoo's current body?

Got questions? He's got answers!
Crusader K

Cuckoo's current body?

Post by Crusader K »

Hi Alan!

Awesome first issue (again!) of the Clan! Sighhh...all's right in the world.

Just a quick question about Jasmine/Kay/Cuckoo.

In her current incarnation, is the body she's using that of a Spanish woman? Indian? The colorist seems to be leaning towards that of Indian.

I think its fascinating that she's jumped around as much as she does and not only into women! I'd loved to see this touched on again!

And what about what Albert said in the first series about not being able to heal everything within her new body? Given that body's previous, err, occupation, might it have HIV?
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

In her current incarnation, is the body she's using that of a Spanish woman? Indian? The colorist seems to be leaning towards that of Indian.

I had asked the colourist to make Kay's skin tone lighter but as I'm only the writer, penciller and creator, what does my opinion matter.
And what about what Albert said in the first series about not being able to heal everything within her new body? Given that body's previous, err, occupation, might it have HIV?

Albert said there are some 'sicknesses' he cannot heal and the implication was it may be an STD or drug related illness but that really was a red herring. Firstly, I don't enjoy comics that preach or trivialise serious issues by reducing them to 'entertainment'. Second, because the comics I do enjoy are about weird, bizarre and a larger than life 'reality', Kay's 'illness' is not what you would expect.

Alan
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

I had asked the colourist to make Kay's skin tone lighter but as I'm only the writer, penciller and creator, what does my opinion matter.
LOL. I didn't think she had the skin tone of an Indian person, though she was perhaps a shade too dark. I think the color was good, overall, though.

Alan, any idea as to the whereabouts of the first series' colorist, Sophie Heath? Just curious.
DungeonmasterJim

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

What are the chances Kay/Jasmine has to body hop in issue two and hops into Rachel's body in issue three?

Well, probably none.

But it is fun to speculate because Rachel always seems to be getting mind controlled, could probably co-exit with Kay because of the Phoenix power (it's a comic book and it's a better explaination than - it's magic - and seeing Kay in red leather and spikes might be cool!

One can dream.

DM Jim - very much enjoyed the first issue
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

Alan!

Thank you SO much for the fast reply! No matter what Kay's form is I love her attitude and the possibility of diversity that she can bring with her body hopping.

I appreciate your desire to leave comics as entertainment. If I were to dwell on the idea tho...hmm...given her...erratic behavior, I'm kind of assuming Albert's comments could possibly have meant some kind of inherent mental instability which would follow her into whatever body she takes over.

I cannot wait for the next issue of the Clan. I hope, and I guess this is up to both yourself and Marvel, that some kind of hardback trade with "Director's Cut" goodies, like sketches or scripts will be forthcoming after the series - or, ahem - this storyline is over. I hope the series goes on of course!

Great job and thanks again!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

I mentioned this on the ClanD thread:

Cuckoo's astral form now looks like her current "Pepe" body! In the first series it looked, not only different than Pepe, but even different than her murdered "Kay Sera" body. Any explaination?

Fun stuff!

I always assumed Albert was speaking of Cuckoo's "illness" as being her highly questionable morals and selfishness.

Speaking of skintone, Kay/Jasmine, the twin's hair etc was miscolored in the X-men crossover. Any idea if that will be corrected in the Clan Destine HC?

-Dallas
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Dallas

In the first series of ClanDestine Kay’s astral form was meant to look like a young version of her Kay Cera persona. In very simplistic terms, although Kay/Jasmine/Cuckoo’s consciousness/spirit had transferred to the Pepa Perez host her self-image hadn’t caught up with the physical change. I did plan to use the subsequent transformation of Kay’s astral form as an indicator of Kay ‘settling in’ to her new host if the original series had run according to plan.
Although I would have liked to use the idea in this new series it would have required a lot of space to explain what was essentially no more than an interesting detail. The fact there was only five issues, which had to incorporate a reintroduction of the entire basic back-story, for the benefit of any new readers, made it impossible to include everything I would have hoped.
I always assumed Albert was speaking of Cuckoo's "illness" as being her highly questionable morals and selfishness.
Kay’s hedonistic amorality is a philosophical belief which, while questionable, can’t really be dismissed as an illness. Kay was born in, and has lived through the most cruel and evil periods of human history—Adam is the only person who can even conceive of what she has been through, but, due to his invulnerability, as a detached observer, Kay experienced the suffering and death personally.
Speaking of skintone, Kay/Jasmine, the twin's hair etc was miscolored in the X-men crossover. Any idea if that will be corrected in the Clan Destine HC?
I’ll just be happy to see the series printed with all of the pages in order.

Alan
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Alan Davis wrote:Dallas
I did plan to use the subsequent transformation of Kay’s astral form as an indicator of Kay ‘settling in’ to her new host if the original series had run according to plan.
Although I would have liked to use the idea in this new series it would have required a lot of space to explain what was essentially no more than an interesting detail.
Still, it's a very interesting detail indeed. Your explanation makes perfect sense and was sort of what I was expecting.....that her astral self look is based on her self image of the body she inhabits. Neat stuff.

Kay’s hedonistic amorality is a philosophical belief which, while questionable, can’t really be dismissed as an illness. Kay was born in, and has lived through the most cruel and evil periods of human history—Adam is the only person who can even conceive of what she has been through, but, due to his invulnerability, as a detached observer, Kay experienced the suffering and death personally.
Wow, very deep! I like that alot. Kay is my favorite character of the series and I think it's because she is so multi-faceted.

In fact, just last night I read through the Clan Destine HC (all pages were in order this time :) ) and I had a new perspective on a certain scene. When Kay tells Spiderman that her kidnapper, and others responsible, will be "punished", it on the surface seemed to indicate that she was predicting/seeing the Punisher finishing them off. Would it be a leap to also suggest that Kay may have possessed some of the players in that scene as well? Could she have possessed the assassin's body and killed her former business partner herself? And then tipped off their location to the Punisher or even possessed him to kill the assassin? Considering Kay's final line in the first issue of vol.2, nothing would surprise me!

The HC looked great! The colors did seem fixed in the X-men sections.

I did advise a new reader to skip the "0" issue pages so as not to spoil the family dynamic or reason for heroics. I'd rather have seen those pages as part of the sketch/back section. And I'd rather have had the old logo on the cover. Besides those two minor points, it will grace my collection as my fave HC yet.

-Dallas
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Looking back at the old CD issues, she seemed to take on her somehwat swarthy look when Helen Nally took over as colorist. She was way too dark in the X-M/CD issues. Odd, since she (or her host body, rather) did not have anything close to that skin tone in CD #1 v.1.
j1jes

Post by j1jes »

It's funny being in medicine, I woundered if Kay had HIV and maybe Herpes. I thought you where going to give her some bought of Herpetic Encephalities and see what king of Havok it would wreak on her telepathy.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I did advise a new reader to skip the "0" issue pages so as not to spoil the family dynamic or reason for heroics. I'd rather have seen those pages as part of the sketch/back section.
Dallas, I haven’t seen the Clandestine HC yet. Did they put the Marvel Comics Presents episode ahead of the first series? Surely not!

Alan
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Alan Davis wrote:

Dallas, I haven’t seen the Clandestine HC yet. Did they put the Marvel Comics Presents episode ahead of the first series? Surely not!

Alan
Uh....yes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I was sorta surprised myself.

Last night I lent the HC and most recent issue to my friend (trying to get him hooked). I actually put a Post It on the first page with Modok and told my buddy to start reading there. And, due to that first Modok page not being a credit or splash, it kinda felt like the Marvel Comics Presents were just the first pages of the initial issue.

But, it's STILL the best HC I own.

-Dallas
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

When does the MCP episode occur?
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Paulo Pereira wrote:When does the MCP episode occur?

I'm assuming that the story would take place sometime following the first arc. After the defeat of Lenz.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

The MCP story was an eleventh hour demand which I had hoped could feature just Rory and Pandora on a mission prior to the ClanDestine 1-4 arc (the overview of this unused story is posted on my website) but Tom De Falco insisted that the whole group had to be present for the MCP story. I had to write a sort of generic future moment that introduced the whole family, and the essential set up, that might occur at some future date. I had always hoped it would be published after the X-Men ClanDestine in any TPB.

Alan