Those gorgeous Nail splash pages!

Got questions? He's got answers!
wonderdallas

Those gorgeous Nail splash pages!

Post by wonderdallas »

Alan,

Is there any chance you would include the splash pages from The Nail on your main site's gallery? I did see the Green Lantern page but I'd specifically be interested in the Wonder Woman vs Metal Men (even that whole brilliantly choreographed scene) and the HawkWoman page.

This is for two reasons. One I'm a huge Wonder Woman fan and secondly I'm always looking for examples of your meticulously thought out fight scenes. I'd love to direct people to your site as an example of how it's done right.

Is there any scene you particularly are fond of? I remember the Nightcrawler in a cast bathroom fight as being so cool!

-Thanks,
Dallas
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for the kind words, Dallas but as I said in a recent post, I’m not sure whether I’ll continue my site, at least in the way I had been running it. Also, most of the things I have posted from a general interest point of view are about the process of working from plot to published comic. I don’t know that there is anything to be gained from posting an entire sequence that is already available in print.
There is no secret to choreographing a fight or any action sequence. To my way of thinking, the problem with poorly staged sequences stems from poor writing. Some writers see fights as an unfortunate necessity to be incorporated every dozen or so pages. I have had plots where the writer has left three or four pages for a fight with the condescending and transparently lazy claim that the writer left the fight un-plotted to allow the penciller creative freedom—To draw dynamic but meaningless pictures. Fights need to be an integral part of the story and should reveal something about the combatants although this can be problematic with group books where a melee is often the only way to ensure all the protagonists are involved.
I couldn’t say that I have a particular favourite but one of the things I enjoyed most working on Killraven was the variety of situations to choreograph.

Alan
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Oh, sorry, I meant to ask about the pencils of those pages! Sorry, lack of sleep on my part. :)

Well, no secret to it or not, you really are far and above most artists concerning coreography, camera angles and flow. Truly fantastic.

I hope you decide to keep your site active. It really brings me alot of joy to see so much of your unpublished/uncolored work. I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this way. You can imagine finding a treasure chest full of your favorite artist's hidden work? That's how we feel about you and your site.

That said, I'm not in your position but I can understand you needing to do what you must. A brief ride is better than no ride! :)

Thanks,
Dallas