Posted Art

Got questions? He's got answers!
A.D.fan

Posted Art

Post by A.D.fan »

Mr. Davis,

How do you decide on what art you post on the site. I personally can't get enough of it and I wish we could see more of it and see new stuff more often. Sorry if this sounds critical. I'm thankful for your site and for your art. I just want MORE!!! Thank you.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I began my site in response to requests for roughs, sketches and unpublished work so most of my early postings were of ‘unseen’ work that enthusiasts had already mentioned on Ryan Bedard’s Thy Te Internet Junction. After a year or so I felt I had posted the most interesting or best and began to post recent sketches and roughs— But since I have been working far below norm in the last twelve to eighteen months I have produced less work to be published (or posted) and I have had less time to spend at the computer.
Aside from this, I had actually been considering closing my site because of the problems caused by people downloading images—some to publish online or in fanzines but, far worse, inking or colouring the downloads as samples or even to sell as originals.

Alan
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Aside from this, I had actually been considering closing my site because of the problems caused by people downloading images—some to publish online or in fanzines but, far worse, inking or colouring the downloads as samples or even to sell as originals.
That'd be a shame but you gotta do what you gotta do.[/quote]
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Thanks for replying, Mr. Davis! While I uderstand your concerns, I hope this sie never goes away. I hardly collect comics anymore and your work is chiefly the only thing I make it a point to collect. And this site is my main source for information of upcoming work. Maybe someone has an answer to making pages more secure. Anyway, thanks again.
Row

Post by Row »

Hi Alan,

I know from trawling the web for reference pics for cars/building etc, certain sites disable the ability to download images, I'm not sure if this could be a possible solution to the problem or not.

As an *ahem* artist myself, While it's great to see the finished pencils for pages before Mark works his inking magic on them, I've enjoyed seeing the rough layouts and thumnails that you've posted on your site, mainly because I love to see how different people get from point A to point B in working up an image/page....How the initial idea takes form and shape, and how that is further refined and polished to the final image.
The Flash pages you posted from Another Nail are a great example ( even though they were finished pencils....thought I'd get that in before anyone pulls me up on that) , the way you redrew them each time, as you've said trying to improve the flow and storytelling aspect.

That's the kind of thing I like to see...the process behind the final result..... I look at the stuff and have one of those lightbulb above my head moments, as I'm always trying to improve my storytelling, and the roughs etc show avenues I may not have thought of trying in my limited comics storytelling experience.

I'm not going to say that I can imagine your frustration at the images being downloaded and used without your/ or publishers permission for either samples or for sale, because I'm soooo far from being in a position to compare, but as Paulo said, you gotta do what you gotta do, and out of respect for your good self, would support your decision.

If you do decide to stop posting images on your site, I'd just like to say thank you for sharing the images that you have posted (especailly the roughs and thumbs) and sharing a small insight into your own creative process.

All the best.

Roland
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Guillermo

Post by Guillermo »

Alan Davis wrote:I began my site in response to requests for roughs, sketches and unpublished work so most of my early postings were of ‘unseen’ work that enthusiasts had already mentioned on Ryan Bedard’s Thy Te Internet Junction. After a year or so I felt I had posted the most interesting or best and began to post recent sketches and roughs— But since I have been working far below norm in the last twelve to eighteen months I have produced less work to be published (or posted) and I have had less time to spend at the computer.

Alan
Hello mr Davis, have you think in a middle path that save you from art robbery, but keep posting art and keeping the web alive?
What if you place a bigger watermark on your drawings? maybe covering a good part of the drawing, maybe even a 50%. Could that work?
Darren Taylor

Post by Darren Taylor »

Your Website, in conjunction with this Forum, provides people with the opportunity to both see and hear things from the horses-mouth and I appreciate that!

Err, not callng you a horse...
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Mr. Davis,
Thanks for giving us more!!!