Question about X-MEN #215

Got questions? He's got answers!
Paulo Pereira

Question about X-MEN #215

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Greetings Alan,

This might seem like an obvious question but did you design the characters that first appeared in this issue: Crimson Commando, Stonewall and Super Sabre?

Ilke

Post by Ilke »

Not to intrude in this thread, Paulo, but I thought these links were interesting -

Custom action figures of Crimson Commando, Stonewall and Super Sabre, made by SamuRon...

http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/customzo ... irasol.htm

...and the 'recipes' for how these figures came to be:

http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/customzo ... solrep.htm
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Cool links, Ilke!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I did design the characters in so far as I drew them first BUT I didn’t really spend any time working out the designs. The book was late, which is why I was pencilling it— all 22 pages in less than two weeks— and the Crimson Commando, Stonewall and Super Sabre seemed to be throwaway characters who may never appear again. Chris had named the characters and given a brief rundown of the character types and I tried to make the trio look dated by cobbling together some of the cliché/classic elements common in superheroes of the 40-50’s.

Its very strange to see the customised figures linked by Ilke because the customiser must have spent far more time working on the figures than I ever did.
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Wow, 22 pages in 2 weeks; pretty fast! And for such good work! If only you were the regular penciller for that period. I know there are reasons why you didn't want to be the regular penciller but I still can't help but bemoan an opportunity lost. Your EXCALIBUR comics made up for it, though.

As for those characters, I have no idea what they're up to these days but I found this picture of Crimson Commando:

Anyway, thanks for the response, Alan.