Colour work

Got questions? He's got answers!
Row

Colour work

Post by Row »

Alan,

I was wondering now that you've started to experiment with colouring via computer, would it be something you would like to do on your next mini-series?

I ask this because in a few interviews here and there you have expressed disappointment about some of the colouring that the final art recieved, resulting in some of Marks' finer ink lines almost disappearing.

All the best.

Row.
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Don't get me started on the things I don't like about comic colouring-- I used to think it was poor when I first started work in US comics but, in my opinion, the advances in computer colouring has only increased the ways blackline art can be messed up. Too many people with very limited ability trying to imitate Alex Ross and Adam Hughes. Sadly the reader often doesn't know what they are missing because the published comic is all they have to judge and, even if they do see a blackline original, they may never get to see a well coloured page.

It wouldn't be possible for me to regularly colour my own work. If I am writing as well as pencilling a title my maximum annual output is eight to nine issues. It would drop to around six if I was to try and colour the books too. Fortunately there are some good colourists (like John Kalisz and Greg Wright) who put the story first.

Alan