If you wanted a DC monthly . . .

Got questions? He's got answers!
Crusader K

If you wanted a DC monthly . . .

Post by Crusader K »

Hi Alan!

If you were offered your choice of a DC monthly (presuming, of course, that you even WANT a monthly), which would it be?

I know you've done covers for the Legion (and lordy almighty, that would be AWESOME) :D and you've done some sketches and covers for Green Lantern (you on GLC? the mind boggles :shock: ) but I always wondered what YOU'D like to put your stamp on. After all, Batman and the Outsiders was a while ago!

Look, I'd buy Brother Power The Geek if you wanted to draw it!

And if you don't mind, what kinda plans did you have for Green Lantern?

Thanks as always!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

My dream project would have been to draw the Green Lantern Corps because I love the whole Sci-Fi alien scenario (I have just posted a page of GL art on my website). Drawing Superboy’s Legion would be also be a lot of fun (and I know Mark has a lot of ideas for more stories), there was also a time when I had discussed doing a new version of the Outsiders (and actually drew a few redesigns). Other than that I tend to go for the more quirky characters like the Creeper, Metamorpho, Ragman, Kamandi and of course Aquaman— AND Batman, if I could do the classic version or something closer to it.

I can’t discuss the detail of my Green Lantern proposal because it was bought-out. Peter Tomasi was the commissioning editor and he had asked me to come up with something radical BUT my proposal was eventually considered TOO radical. It probably was because I rationalised the ring’s weakness to the colour yellow, the 24 hour recharge, why when there are only 3600 Green Lanterns in the Galaxy that four are based on earth—And why Hal became the Spectre. It would have been fun but I’ve never had much luck with DC. My first proposal (with Paul Neary) was WARPFORCE-- that was bounced because the-powers-that-be had just decided that time travel was no longer possible in the DC universe. The first Nail took three editors five years to win approval and if it hadn’t been for KC Carlson’s persistence the Nail wouldn’t ever have happened.

Alan
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

Alan - thank you SOOO much for the informative reply!

Oh man . . YOU on the GLC??? Sighhhh . .. . that would have been freaking awesome!

And more Superboy's Legion?? Yes, Yes, YES!!! Loved that mini - especially the many redesigns!

And that's ridiculous - 3 editors over 5 years???? And what a totally cool series that was! Someone needs to wake up I think!

Hmmm.....wonder if DC can be petitioned?

Thanks again! Looking forward to ClanDestine!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Vyrt

Post by Vyrt »

I have to admit that I have a standing order in with my comic shop for anything Alan does (just in case I miss something). My comic shop owner, Colin Gould (ex of Ogre books) is great about putting stuff away for me.
I totally agree though that another Legion story would be terrific.
Crusader if you want to start a campaign to get a Green Lantern Corps book done by Alan with DC count me in.
ZenoArmani

Post by ZenoArmani »

Hi Alan. Have you read something of Geoff Johnns' and Dave Gibbons' current Green Lantern Corps revamp? If so, is this vaguely in line with what you had in mind? In any case, I'm certain that mister Johnns would love to work with you if you feel interested (much like almost any other writer in the business). :)
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Geoff showed me some pages he had on his lap top in Bristol 2006 but that’s all I saw and, judging by that, it wasn’t close to what I had proposed.

Alan
Avi Bastermagian

Post by Avi Bastermagian »

There are unseen Outsiders redesigns? Please be so kind as to post them.. your work on the Outsiders was phenomenal, and that was so early in your career.. I can just imagine what a run on the team would be like now! I love the Halo redesign from The Nail, by the way.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I’m afraid I haven’t been able to locate a copy of the Outsider redesigns. DC never returned my original and the photocopies from that period faded badly.
I must say though that it wasn’t so much of a redesign as a refinement. I thought the original Outsiders were great characters. It was DC who requested a redesign and I did as little as possible to interfere with the originals.
As I recall, the main changes were darkening Katana so she was more Ninja-like; making Metamorpho more distorted and fluid, constantly changing; and doing something similar with Halo’s costume so that the pattern was more akin to a fluctuating light show than a printed material.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Besides a Green Lantern Corps run, I'd love to see you tackle The Creeper or Kamandi.