I'm back and I'm bad!

Got questions? He's got answers!
jasonb

I'm back and I'm bad!

Post by jasonb »

Hello Mr Davis and others.

Again, been nearly a month since my last post. I have been working my socks off.
I have been doing my best to do some panel drawings, especially for the Daredevil Submission I was working on. Thanks to Raj and Matt I created a space on image shack, so thanks very much for the help.
So here goes, I will try and post a pin-up,

OK! I am hoping that you got that. If you did then please rip it to shreds.
I need to get better, I really want to go professional and any advice or harsh criticism is much appreciated. Thank you.

On a much more personal note just brought my first car. :D I won't say how much it cost me for insurance and everything but I doubt I can afford to eat for a while :lol:
Thanks always, Jason. [img=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2923/roguemystique07ly7.th.jpg]
P.S. Hope all is well with you and anyone else reading this post.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Glad to have you back around. The link worked for me.
~Matt
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Thanks Matt for letting me know. It's good to be back. Hope that you liked the pic I don't use colour often, I prefer either a wash or favourite a good solid pencil finish. At times i think that the use of colour can take away from the original glory of the pencil and it's line work. What do others think about this?
Jas
MiG

Post by MiG »

If you ink it first you will retain the line- work while coloring it or you could try your hand at digital coloring.

I just got a full- time job as a comic artist for a brand new upcoming title, release date somewhere around x-mas and perhaps not altogether what I'd prefer to draw since it's partially manga but hey, it's a well paid full- time position so I don't complain :). Anyway, we've just recruited an inker who actually can follow my line- work which apparently aint easy and now we're trying to get a good colorist for the pages as well but this seems to be harder. One thing a color often tend to do is taking over the line- work and obscuring it which is not good since there's no point in inking anything if the ink itself can't be seen. What you're looking for in a comic page is a fine balance between the plot/manuscript/inks and colors with all the captions and balloons added and the respective parts should be in harmony with each other. And colors can make things difficult since the current trend seems to darken the pages ridiculously much. We're making the pages black around and in- between the panels for some reason so there's a lot of oppressive darkness right there and add a darker and a somewhat too opaque color scheme to the panels then everything feels suffocating. I think the office is a little tired of my intense scrutiny of the details but since this is about to be a global publication we need to be as tight as we possibly can to make it take off correctly and we can't be mellow when it comes to quality. Everything's got to be as close to a perfect result as can be, otherwise we'll never be able to keep it alive.

So after all this ranting the point is that if you're going to apply color to anything, make absolutely sure that they are the right colors for the artwork in question. If you do it digitally then it's a bit different but if you're doing it by hand you have to be careful with how you do it to get the desired result. Oh and I'd strongly recommend a good inking of the piece prior to any application of the color, that way you'll get to keep the line- work intact. If/when a piece is inked for being colored then the colors shouldn't affect the inking IMO. Why take away such a beautiful art with a rude offensive color?
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Wow MiG! Your website is great. I especially liked your tutorial, very influential and incredibly informative. Thank you for the point-of-view and advice. Unfortunately I don't have any programs to enable myself to try digital colouring :( None the less I will try to use more ink on my finishes, I especially enjoy using a wash. However I have no significant pics to post that show this.
Congratulations on the full-time artistic work for the manga title. :D
I have to admit your screaming silence piece is class. I would love to see you working on some Mainstream comics.
Jas
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you Jason, on all accounts and no problem, if I can be of any help I'm all the happier for it :wink: Oh and I'll post up the link to the comic when it's been made official since it's going online first and on paper afterwards it seems. I'd like it to see print first but on the other hand I seem to be the one with the traditional touch back at work heh