2 artists together?

Got questions? He's got answers!
Guillermo

2 artists together?

Post by Guillermo »

Hello mr. Davis, after reading the post about Byrne, it came to my mind a problem that I have, and maybe you have something to say about it.
From 10 years ago, when I was an art student, I've allways wanted to work with a friend of me, who wants the same.

We are both artists, and we like the work of the other a lot. But we never found a good way to work, cause both of us like to do the drawing, of course, so sometimes one did pencils and other inked, sometimes we planned projects with 2 separated stories linked the one to the other to justify the work of us two in a same story.

But it has been never satisfying at full.

So my question is, what do you do when you plan a project with another artist? Do designs together? you write it together too? or from the very beginning one writes and the other makes the drawings? Has been that a hard decision anytime?
Maybe the final solution is work alone, or with a writer, but we still feel that something greater than us could come from a work done together.
Thanks.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Guillermo, A lack of satisfaction is part of being a real artist. If I was to write, pencil, ink and colour a story myself I’d still feel there was something lacking/wrong. The convenience of a partnership is that you have someone else to blame.
The practicalities of producing a monthly book made creative partnership a necessity but it’s very difficult to share the creative process and compromise usually results in all the parties involved feeling they each conceded more than the other.
Obviously there are some partnerships that work, and I have had a few successful collaborations myself, but the nature of creativity is VERY personal so passions run high and divorce is swift and uncomplicated.

Alan
Guillermo

Post by Guillermo »

Thx a lot for the advices, you are very right, specially about the feelings about such a work, and sometimes the point of view of someone else makes the work richer.
I suppose sharing, having patience and knowing when to delegate into the other is the key to finish a work for good.