Your Exaclibur (Phoenix) Rachel vs Galactus and 2 other ?s

Got questions? He's got answers!
j1jes

Your Exaclibur (Phoenix) Rachel vs Galactus and 2 other ?s

Post by j1jes »

1. I have a quick question about one of the MOST amazing comics artistically and written so well, the Exaclibur issue when Phoenix in Rachel's body faces off against Galactus

I was under the impression that this established Phoenix as more powerful than Galactus and gave origin to her power source in a great way, but now I hear people saying it wasn't the real Galactus? WHat is up with that? Is it true?

2. Any news on Clan Destine as of June 07?

3. Have you ever considered co-pencils in a book if the artist was similiar to meet a schedule? You amazing art is pretty similiar to Bryan Hitch or Paul Smith, Neal Adams?

4. What are your thoughts of working in the future with John Byrne? Claremont? Mark Waid? Morrison? I personally think you and Morrison would do the BEST Batman ever. Any one else you would love to work with as a writer or penciller

5. Have you ever considered pencilling in the future for an extended time (if you could) Superman? Wonder Woman(please write her too)? a Rachel Summers mini? Your own version of New New Excalibur? Fanastic Four? or The Justice League?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

1. I have a quick question about one of the MOST amazing comics artistically and written so well, the Exaclibur issue when Phoenix in Rachel's body faces off against Galactus
I was under the impression that this established Phoenix as more powerful than Galactus and gave origin to her power source in a great way, but now I hear people saying it wasn't the real Galactus? WHat is up with that? Is it true?
Different creators have a different take on each character and Galactus has had to endure more abuse than most. (All those egotistical writers eager to write a speech for God!) My Galactus /Phoenix story resulted from an editorial dictate to resolve the ‘Phoenix-problem’ as it had become known. The point of my story was that neither Phoenix nor Galactus were powerful per se. They each siphoned energy from the universe. Galactus, from ‘fully- developed’ life—which he decided was ripe for the picking-- Phoenix taped into the well-spring of life as yet unborn. In my story Phoenix defeated the energy-depleted Galactus by drawing on the infinite potential of unborn life—a murderous reality of which the Phoenix had been unaware.

I’m working on the fourth issue in a five issue arc.

3. Have you ever considered co-pencils in a book if the artist was similar to meet a schedule? You amazing art is pretty similiar to Bryan Hitch or Paul Smith, Neal Adams?
Swiftly sidestepping the obvious…

I had to pass up an opportunity to work with Neal Adams years ago and, while I can’t imagine how we might collaborate, as a fanboy it would be very appealing.

4. What are your thoughts of working in the future with John Byrne? Claremont? Mark Waid? Morrison? I personally think you and Morrison would do the BEST Batman ever. Any one else you would love to work with as a writer or penciller
Again, as a fanboy, I’d like to collaborate with John Byrne. Not for any but what I might learn.

5. Have you ever considered pencilling in the future for an extended time (if you could) Superman? Wonder Woman(please write her too)? a Rachel Summers mini? Your own version of New New Excalibur? Fanastic Four? or The Justice League?
It would depend very much on the version of the characters. The majority of ‘updates’ have jettisoned all that I cared about.

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Alan Davis wrote:
I’m working on the fourth issue in a five issue arc.
It would depend very much on the version of the characters. The majority of ‘updates’ have jettisoned all that I cared about.

Alan
As for quote #2 - Woo-Hoo!!!!!! :D Not sure why, but I was figuring you were only on issue two. I'm anxiously waiting for this series.

Quote #5 - this leads me to some eternal hope that you will one day return Rachel Grey to Rachel Summers - hound outift, rash behavior, and maybe even the rat tail mullet and all! :lol:

DM Jim
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

I would drop everything to read a new Excalibur series OR Rachel/Phoenix story from you Alan!
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
ZenoArmani

Post by ZenoArmani »

Alan Davis wrote:Again, as a fanboy, I’d like to collaborate with John Byrne. Not for any but what I might learn.
I think Mr. Byrne once mentioned that he considered you a thousand times better comics artist than himself, so he might become enthusiastic at the prospect. I for one would love to see what the two of you could come up with. :)
Gordon Somers

Post by Gordon Somers »

Alan Davis wrote:
Again, as a fanboy, I’d like to collaborate with John Byrne. Not for any but what I might learn.
I thought that John Byrne might like to see this quote and so I took the liberty of quoting you (hope you don't mind).

Anyhoo, this was Mr Byrne's answer:

"I cannot image what Alan thinks he could learn from
me!

But I would be delighted to work with him."

You guys should definitely try and get together (although there might be fights over who writes and who does art chores!)

Bestest

Gordon
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I don’t know what John Byrne might have said, Zenoarmani but any kind of ‘better’ isn’t true. I never list John as an influence because, artistically, I had settled into my ‘creative rut’ when I first discovered his work BUT as a storyteller his work was and is a constant inspiration and the benchmark with which to measure good comics.

Gordon, I don’t mind you quoting my post—except that part of that particular sentence went AWOL. The line should have read… “Not for any REASON OTHER THAN what I might learn”. Somehow the three words became ‘BUT’. I have no idea what I did wrong—semiconscious at the end of a long day I suppose.
Anyway, I don’t know what there might be to learn either, specifically, but one need only look at John Byrne’s body of work to realise there is a wealth of skill and knowledge to be tapped.

Alan